Fish Tank Headboard??

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all,

I was curious, is it possible/a good idea to have a fish tank as a headboard? This has been a dream of mine since I was little, which means it might not be logical lol

I'm thinking the bedframe and the headboard/tank would have to be two separate things (ie. not connected) and both would be custom made so the tank would span the length of my queen sized bed and then be about a foot above the bed and then I'd have cubbies on the sides to keep the fish supplies and stuff. I think I'd anchor the tank to the wall? Not sure...

The only thing I could think of being an issue is if I do adult things or if the dogs wrestle on the bed and it shakes alot, wouldn't that make the water slosh around a bunch and possibly spill and stress the fish out?? Or is there a way to get it to not do that? Or will a tank that size be heavy enough to not shake?

Here's a drawing of what I'm thinking

Let me know what you think!!
Thanks!
Screenshot_20190609-171931.jpg

BillCNC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As a retired Prototype builder, ... YES, anything is possible but to be honest with you, ... That would scare the Heck out of me. So much could be life threatening in this scenario.

Regards
Bill

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It sounds like a cool and interesting idea, but fishkeeping can be messy and accidents can happen so you have to be okay and prepared for that. Then imagine possibly getting a leak in the tank, it'd be a nightmare.

New Fish in Town

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There would probably be some noise and trickling water. That isn't good, if you want to get some quality sleep. My first filter was way too noisy for my bedroom when I set up my aquarium, so I had to buy a quieter canister and sleep on the other side of my bed to stay farther from the noise. It's easy to walk in the noisy pet store, get excited, and impulse buy. Then you get home and realize your purchase will make at least a little noise.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would set it up in your room but definitely wouldn't set it up as a headboard tank. Even basic WC's could drip water onto your bed and like others have said in the event of a possible leak it could become extremely dangerous. and the other thing about the dogs and adult things also could cause some bad things to happen. Being a queen size bed its at least 5' across so that would be bigger than a 75 gallon..

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL. I'm sorry but your post really amused me! I wouldn't unless the tank wasn't actually touching the bed frame lol. For reasons you mentioned.

I'm still laughing. Sorry I know it was a real question..

Geoff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Annie59 said:
LOL. I'm sorry but your post really amused me! I wouldn't unless the tank wasn't actually touching the bed frame lol. For reasons you mentioned.

I'm still laughing. Sorry I know it was a real question..
I'm glad I wasn't the only one! I can be such a child at times lol.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could set up at tank at the head of your bed but not actually part of or touching it. I would also have it drilled to to make water changes easier.

RunsOnCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Put the tank where you can see it when you are lying down. At the foot end. ;-)

Maybe something like a small drain could be installed where in case of a leak water could flow through without touching the "bed part" of the bed or mattress. With a drain under the bed... plus, the stand for the tank could hold your equipment with noise cancelling foam, and the sides of the stand could have pull out "tables"/counters on each side to add a place where you can rest stuff on when you do tank maintenance...

Yes yes, the sketch needs work. Drew it on my phone...
20190609_231718.jpg

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
On so many levels and for so many reasons...NO!!!

I fairly certain there would be no adult activities involved if someone walked in and saw that!

Just sayin’

On a logistics note, doing water changes on a bed...again...NO!

But it is possible...technically.

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Check this out

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Minxxy - That would be cool but it’s a bit more than a head board!

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the guys from Tanked did it
Love them

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Totally! My kids and I have seen every episode! A fish wall behind your bed is way more impressive than a fish tank headboard.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't do want that show did. For the simple reason I saw them make a "thing" like a skateboard ramp on a fish tank. And actually used it. Can't imagine what it must have sounded like to those poor fish.

But I'm sure you can like I said before, just making sure its not touching the bed. Maybe just put a tank up and move the bed in front of it?

LynnwoodFishDad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It can totally be done and if it is what Kysarkel000 wants, she should totally do it. I just highly recommend a bed on casters so you can move it for cleaning.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need to connect the headboard to a water bed mattress so the fish can swim under you also ...
I'll admit I thought of the headboard tank/waterbed years ago myself !

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nah. It'll look tacky when it gets algae, and it'd be a pain to clean and scrub to get it looking presentable. Plus, I have an aversion to glass cracking, then shattering on top of me. No thanks.

bentaz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The guys from tanked do a lot a stupid stuff, so much rubbish in reality tv.
I wouldn't let those jerks near my fish.
Aquarium headboard is no different to a tank anywhere else, don't listen to the neigh Sayers, if that's where you want a tank just do it and enjoy it.

ThePetPavilion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Random Idea, I suck at drawing on a computer. It is supposed to be a bed in a fish tank.
It would be impossible though, think about the pressure the legs would put on the glass, it would break real quick. It was just an unrealistic idea, it would be cool if it worked.
upload_2019-8-13_17-44-1.png

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom