Fish Tank Has Reoccurring Smell

Thorn46

I have two separate tanks with Betta fish in them each has a heater and the same schedule. One has no odor and the other one has a really bad smell I did a 50% water change on the one that smells, cleaned the gravel, and all decorations, and the smell is still getting stronger. Both are 5.5 gallon tanks and I only feed them pellets one by one so there isn’t extra that falls to the bottom. Anyone have a clue what could be causing the smell? It smells very strong like a sour or egg smell. I have begun doing small water changes daily but does anyone know what the cause is? Could the price of driftwood I have in there be causing it?

LMO

HS gas trapped in the gravel gives a rotten egg smell - is your gravel very deep and do you vacuum it? How old is the tank? Have you rinsed your filter media in tank water to remove any detritus?

KimberlyG

OMG, I just did this today! One of my bettas is in a 5 gallon Chi. It is heavily planted so I don't "rake" the sand. I went to do a water change today and vacuum the sand and I hit this overwhelming smell of methane. I grabbed a new gladware bowl and stuck my betta in it as fast as I could. I yanked every plant out, emptied almost all the water, added water while swiching my hand around in the sand, dumped the water, and repeated the sand cleaning about 5 times. The betta is okay, but scary stuff. Good luck with your guy.

Thorn46

HS gas trapped in the gravel gives a rotten egg smell - is your gravel very deep and do you vacuum it? How old is the tank? Have you rinsed your filter media in tank water to remove any detritus?
The gravel is about two inches high and I do clean it with a vacuum every two week for a month now and I have had the tank about 6 months. I don’t have a filter because all the ones I have tried are too strong or big for the tank size

OMG, I just did this today! One of my bettas is in a 5 gallon Chi. It is heavily planted so I don't "rake" the sand. I went to do a water change today and vacuum the sand and I hit this overwhelming smell of methane. I grabbed a new gladware bowl and stuck my betta in it as fast as I could. I yanked every plant out, emptied almost all the water, added water while swiching my hand around in the sand, dumped the water, and repeated the sand cleaning about 5 times. The betta is okay, but scary stuff. Good luck with your guy.
I’m just at a loss because even though I did a deep clean the smell returned within an hour. My betta doesn’t seem to be doing too well at the moment in that water so I’m doing daily water changes but I’m glad yours is ok!

Thorn46

It’s a bit hard to measure when I’m doing partial water changes but I don’t think I’m using too much especially not enough for the water to smell as strongly as it does

KimberlyG

I’m just at a loss because even though I did a deep clean the smell returned within an hour. My betta doesn’t seem to be doing too well at the moment in that water so I’m doing daily water changes but I’m glad yours is ok!
I would very much like your betta to be okay as well. This is not a common problem with aquariums with gravel substrait. Do you have wood in the tank? Wood that is not sandblasted or is not ideal for aquariums (most likely self collected) can be a problem. I have a piece that I take out of my multI tank on a weekly basis and scrub down with a green scotch pad because it was not sandblasted I know it will be okay eventually, but for now it is a nightmare. Unfortunately it is a gnarly piece of wood, so I put up with it. It was for birds or reptiles so it was not prepared for aquariums.
If I were you, I would do a total water change. Is your betta going to be upset because there are no nitrates or gases in the tank any longer? Bettas are not that touchy. I think it would do him good.

Thorn46

I would very much like your betta to be okay as well. This is not a common problem with aquariums with gravel substrait. Do you have wood in the tank? Wood that is not sandblasted or is not ideal for aquariums (most likely self collected) can be a problem. I have a piece that I take out of my multI tank on a weekly basis and scrub down with a green scotch pad because it was not sandblasted I know it will be okay eventually, but for now it is a nightmare. Unfortunately it is a gnarly piece of wood, so I put up with it. It was for birds or reptiles so it was not prepared for aquariums.
If I were you, I would do a total water change. Is your betta going to be upset because there is no any nitrates or gases in the tank any longer? Bettas are not that touchy. I think it would do him good.
There is a piece of driftwood in there I got at a pet store. When I first got it I thoroughly rinsed it and I rinse it when I clean the other decorations as well. I will have to try that if nothing seems to improve I’m just worried about stressing the little guy out more than he already is

jclee

If it smells like eggs, sulfur, then it really probably is methane gas. 2 inches of gravel might be high enough to create anaerobic bacteria, especially if the gravel vacuum isn't going all the way through it when you siphon. I would try reducing the height of the gravel dips in the tank.

Thorn46

If it smells like eggs, sulfur, then it really probably is methane gas. 2 inches of gravel might be high enough to create anaerobic bacteria, especially if the gravel vacuum isn't going all the way through it when you siphon. I would try reducing the height of the gravel dips in the tank.
I will try that as soon as possible thank you

FishBeans

HI there, to the filter part, I can suggest the in-tank whisper filter by tetra, as my one Betta in a 5 gallon currently has it and it barely creates any movement I'm thinking I might actually have to adjust to a slightly higher flow (since it is adjustable).
From what I understand that is also where most of the BB would reside and if you are going to have to tinker with the tank so much to figure your smell issue out, you may lose enough BB to effect your cycle.

Thorn46

HI there, to the filter part, I can suggest the in-tank whisper filter by tetra, as my one Betta in a 5 gallon currently has it and it barely creates any movement I'm thinking I might actually have to adjust to a slightly higher flow (since it is adjustable).
From what I understand that is also where most of the BB would reside and if you are going to have to tinker with the tank so much to figure your smell issue out, you may lose enough BB to effect your cycle.
I can’t find any filter under that name recommended for a 5 gallon. Do you use one recommended for a smaller tank so it doesn’t disturb it as much?

FishBeans

Yes it came with the 5 gallon tank. It's Tetra Whisper 2-10 internal filter, specifically I believe

But I have also seen a lot of recommendation for sponge filters for Betta tanks as well, I understand they don't create a flow that would bother a Betta and are excellent for housing BB, there just isn't an option for chemical filtration.

Thorn46

Is it this
Yes it came with the 5 gallon tank. It's Tetra Whisper 2-10 internal filter, specifically I believe
Is it this one? If so I have already tried it and my betta would go anywhere near it because it would blow him around

Attachments

• BFF8AF36-CA5F-4B59-AB20-2608C2F97F28.jpeg
    BFF8AF36-CA5F-4B59-AB20-2608C2F97F28.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 83

SegiDream

Is it this

Is it this one? If so I have already tried it and my betta would go anywhere near it because it would blow him around
You're not the only one who has had that "impossible" experience with their fish and that filter. I'm probably never going to use whisper filters again, ntm it's fairly noisy.

FishBeans

Is it this

It's not that exact one.
It looks a little different and I don't think it was the 10i, it's possible this one only comes with the tank and not sold separately but that would seem weird

I have heard not so great reviews on the whisper filters before I got mine, I mostly purchased for the tank, I have an aquaclear for my female Betta that I got first and figured I could get another or try sponge if the whisper didn't work out. So far like I said the flow isn't bad, and it is only noisy sometimes depending on how it's sitting/what's touching it

I'm looking through Google right now and I actually can't even find mine, it's definitely not the "i" series :/

But anyway, not to totally highjack the thread on different kinds filters.

I would just be careful about not getting rid of all your beneficial bacteria and ruining your cycle, cause I'm sure you know what a stress that would be for your little guy and don't want that on top of the current issue.

Thorn46

It's not that exact one.
It looks a little different and I don't think it was the 10i, it's possible this one only comes with the tank and not sold separately but that would seem weird

I have heard not so great reviews on the whisper filters before I got mine, I mostly purchased for the tank, I have an aquaclear for my female Betta that I got first and figured I could get another or try sponge if the whisper didn't work out. So far like I said the flow isn't bad, and it is only noisy sometimes depending on how it's sitting/what's touching it

I'm looking through Google right now and I actually can't even find mine, it's definitely not the "i" series :/

But anyway, not to totally highjack the thread on different kinds filters.

I would just be careful about not getting rid of all your beneficial bacteria and ruining your cycle, cause I'm sure you know what a stress that would be for your little guy and don't want that on top of the current issue.
I have some sponge filters coming in in a few days so hopefully that helps him out and helps the smell

FishBeans

Good, hope you find one that works for him, they are our pampered Little babies eh. And this is the whisper I have, it doesn't have any of the slits on the front like all the ones I googled, wish I'd kept the box to know what one it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_163034157.jpg
    IMG_20171111_163034157.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 62

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DylanM
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies