Fish tank has bubbles... will my fish die

magentatooth

Reactions
I bought a pristine looking 70L tank second hand and forgot to wash it.
I’ve just spent a little while scaping it with gravel, wood, plants...
I filled it with water directly from another tank with the intention to net over directly a few fish

HOWEVER...
There are persistent bubbles at the top and I’m worried it’s had a detergent in it

Any suggestions except for taking the whole thing down washing repeatedly and starting again?

Photo of bubbles and of tank

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Its probably just biofilm bubbles from the wood and stuff you just put in there. Is there white film on top too?

Frank the Fish guy

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like froth from all the air you got into the water when you set up the tank and some biofilm from the plants. No harm to fish.

If you see some oily residue on the surface with these bubbles (makes a rainbow effect), then what you can do is a water change and skim off the surface.

To skim the surface, submerge your gravel cleaner and get the siphon started. Then invert it, but keep it below the water line. Bring it just up to the surface and the water will rush in from the surface. You can skim off all of the scum that way.

Nice tank!

OP
M

magentatooth

Reactions
Thank you everyone!! You gave me the confidence to put in my two favourite females and favourite male swordtail (all different) in the hope they have some nice mixed patterned babies, and they all look happy at the moment!

New Threads