Fish Tank Gravel

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BigAcp, Jul 19, 2017.

1. BigAcp

BigAcpNew MemberMember

My brother in law use to have 20 fish tanks ranging from 5 gallons to 125 gallons all full of fish, fresh and salt water. We had a massive storm a few years ago and the power went out for two weeks and his fish died and he lost hope and interest after that so her quit doing it. He gave me some gravle that sat in a fish tank for close to five years with out draining the water or even cleaning it so it all dried up. The rocks are filthy and needs cleaning. I've boiled them three times and can't get them clean, what would be the best way to clean the rocks? They have a film over them and some have algae on them. Any ideas?

2. ajgravedigger13Valued MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcpNew MemberMember

I have some black diamond blasting sand in a the fish tank I have but I was thinking about getting one with gravle.

4. ajgravedigger13Valued MemberMember

Personally I hate gravel. Sand is much nicer

5. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

Agree with ajgravedigger13, I hate gravel, sand is so much easier. The food doesn't get stuck in substrate, so you feed less and can control the water quality. Plus snails won't take over your tank, they are actually very beneficial.

6. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcpNew MemberMember

That's what everyone tells me lol I'd still like to know how to clean them even if I don't use them because I like the gravles lol.

7. ajgravedigger13Valued MemberMember

Just keep boiling it

8. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcpNew MemberMember

That's what everyone tells me lol I'd still like to know how to clean them even if I don't use them because I l
    so snails over shrimp? I was planning on getting two ghost shrimp

9. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

Snails are cool, I have kept many species. Mystery's and Malaysian Trumpet are my favorite.

10. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

You can try soaking the gravel in hydrogen peroxide for about an hr and then washing it well.
    For the price of gravel not sure it's worth the time if it's really bad...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice