Fish tank glass just cracked Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hunter7x7, Mar 27, 2010.

1. hunter7x7New MemberMember

I am a new member.
    With much help from the members here I finally got my 70gal (bought used) set up and cycling the water. All of the sudden yesterday I heard a noise and walked into the room to find the front glass had cracked top to bottom and water was streaming out. After frantically bailing water and soaking uo water with towels we got it emptied in probably 3 minutes flat.

I bought a new tank and set it up and filled it with water late last night to start the process all of again. Now I am concerned that I might have done something wrong before and I don't want to repeat that same mistake.

Could I have done something wrong? I checked and leveled the stand, tank, tank1/3 full, tank 2/3 ful and tank 100% full. It was level, plumb and square.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Oh, I'm so sorry. I think that's a chance we all take when we buy a used or even new tank.
    :(
    Glad you were there to hear it!

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Yikes! I'm sorry, what rotten luck.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

wow I also am sorry!! used tanks scare me to death!!
    I usually fill them outside and leave sitting in my yard for a week...the neighbors laugh ;D

5. OP
    OP
    h

hunter7x7New MemberMember

Bad luck indeed. I bought used because of the expense of a new tank but now I have spent more than if I just bought new. Grrr

Nobody has any idea of what I may have done wrong? I got worried so I emptied the new tank this morning until I got some reassurance that I didn't do something wrong when I set up the first tank. I do not ever want to experience that panic and mess again. Next time I might not be home and able to react so quickly.

I would be greatful to any feedback even if it is just reassurance that I didn't overlook anything or do anything wrong.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I really don't think you did anything wrong. The tank could have had a tiny unnoticeable crack and when it was filled with water it broke.
    Sorry you had this problem.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice