Fish Tank Feng Shui?

mikelz777

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as fish tank feng shui? Not so much trying to follow that philosophy but rules of thumb for designing a tank? For example, is there a rule of thumb for the number of plants a tank should have so it doesn't look too sparse or too cluttered based on the dimensions of the tank? A rule of thumb for how many different plants should appear? Tall vs. short? Size of rocks or driftwood?

My betta recently died and I'd like to start anew take my 2.5 gallon tank in a different direction with a more natural look. I had been putting a chinese lantern like hideaway and a largish (for this tank) plant and some moss balls and they pretty much dominated the space in the tank. So far I'd like to go with a smaller grained gravel and multiple smaller plants with 1 or 2 pieces of small driftwood. I will be going with artificial plants.

mikelz777

Reaction score
I know that is a very popular mantra around here but getting a 5 gallon tank is not an option. For me, it's my 2.5 gallon tank or nothing at all. My last betta did very well in it.

beau

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can decorate a 2.5 gallon, but you will find that most plants dominate it and it will be challenging to achieve good balance. Your plan for a smaller grained gravel (I would personally use sand) and a couple pieces of driftwood sounds good, you just need to make sure they're appropriately sized so they don't take up too much space or look out of place. (ie, very small) Look up 'The Golden Rule' or 'aquascaping rules' if you want some more technical advice on how to lay it out. If you can get a bigger tank it would be easier to work with and your fish would appreciate it!

Edit: Added the last comment before I saw the post above.

AJ34

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 2 gallon and a 3 gallon, one round and one hex...you have less options than a 5 or larger standard aquarium but that is not to say you can't decorate it or provide good cover... my fish seem pretty happy and healthy in those tanks. I have a 5 gallon and the betta in there seems overwhelmed by the space but he is young. The thing I notice with my smaller tanks is I start to run out of gravel space to stick plants in on the bottom. However, I use suction cup plants as well, that probably throws off the natural vibe in terms of how it looks but if my fish is happy and safe that is what I go for. Have fun decorating!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom