Fish Tank Cycling Problem

1. FishyFishy101 Initiate Member

So I did a mistake by adding 3 neon tetras to my 10 gallon today.The fish tank was not cycled.One of the tetras died within a few hours.So now I have 2 neon tetras in my tank.Im afraid the fish will die from not having enough other neon tetras.So now I'm in a predicament.Ive come to the conclusion that I have to do a fish in cycle.I was planning on getting 3 tetras today and some more later on to prevent too much bio load.I did some research and found out that neons are very sensitive and won't produce enough ammonia for the bacteria to establish.So now I'm left with 2 neon tetras in my tank and I have no idea what to do.I was planning on adding a cycling fish.But I was told not to do that by an employee at my LFS.What should I do?Should I add more neon tetras?

2. F15FreeEagle Member Member

My opinion, at this point, I would try to ride it out, doing a 20% water change every day. I would hold off on adding more neons before it is cycled. Are you planning on having more fish besides neons?

3. FishyFishy101 Initiate Member

I was going to add one betta and probably 4 more neons to have a total of 6.Other than that,no other fish.

4. F15FreeEagle Member Member

Your betta SHOULD be ok with the neons, although keep in mind that fish are like all other creatures. They do have different personalities, even within the same type. Most bettas I have had I could keep in a community tank without any problems, but I've had a couple that just would not get along with anyone. :D

5. GabeC Member Member

Neons really need more space than a 10gallon. There aren't s lot of tetras that will thrive in a tank that size.

6. tinkerpie Initiate Member

Tetra are soft water fish Make sure your water fits that

7. jl_1005 Member Member

Hey I had a similar issue in the past. The neons are not very hardy and probably won't survive the fish-in cycle... sorry, but that may be your only option now, keep up the water changes.

Secondly, in a 10 gallon your neon tetras and betta may not get along. Be careful!! I had the neons chasing and nipping on my betta. I had to separate them. Keep a close watch...