Fish tank cycle?

1. angelfish Initiate Member

I hope this is not a stupid question, when talking about cycling a tank, is it the water that you are cycling or is it the tank in it self. Ok the reason for the question is, what if i filled my tank with water that has been though the cycle of another fish tank? Would this help or would it be the same as tap water?
  2. slider Initiate Member

Using water from a mature tank will have a small effect on cycling a new tank
    Cycling takes place in the tank itself, a colony of bacteria will inhabit the substrate (sand or gravel), rocks, plants and any other decor in the tank

3. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

If you moved the substrate as well as the water (and especially if you use a filter from an established tank, without thoroughly cleaning it), your tank would not be completely cycled, but it will give it a major jump start.
  4. Jon Well Known Member Member

good advice

i agree using a filter from an established tank or gravel or any plants / decor... just make sure you dont have the decor or filter out of water long enough for the bacteria to die. i also reccomend a fishless cycle

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

No questions are stupid here. Please click on the sticky in this forum called "FishLore Articles for Beginners" to help you understand what cycling is and more about the bacteria. ;)
  6. angelfish Initiate Member

Just wanted to Thank all for the help. Hope my tank would cycle soon so I can put some pretty veil angelfish only in it.
  7. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Well Good Luck, and ask us any questions you need :)