fish tank cooler?

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so I have had my tank now since aug of last year, over the winter the heater did a really great job and kept the tank right at 78F . now since summer is here the tank has jumped in temp to 82F, what can I do to keep the tank cooler?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just grab a water bottle or a 20 oz Coke bottle or something, fill up most of the way with water, and freeze it. When it's frozen, float it in your tank to bring temp down.

If you're running your tank open top, it can also help to use a fan to blow across the surface of the water.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent advice from harpua

You can also turn off your lights, or change the times the lights are on. Heat is transferred from the lights to the water.

If you have a hood, you can try raising it a little to allow the heat to escape. [Be sure to cover any large gaps with a net or similar to prevent fish escapes]

Also, at 82F (27-28C), it's not really cause for concern, above 86F you're starting to hit trouble. I run my tropical at a constant 27.

As long as you have an airpump, you're keeping oxygen in the water, and your fish will be fine.

Personally, I wouldn't try anything, just keep up the oxygen levels, and let the tank come down naturally, much better for the fish than constant temperature fluctuations. If it was getting above 86F, then I'd look to cool the tank.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm feeling ya! same thing is happening with mine. i've found that as my tank is in my living room the fish get plenty of natural light and seem perfectly happy to just have the natural light on. So I keep my light off (yay for saving energy) during the day, and only have their light on at night (when it's cooler). I also keep my ceiling fan on 24/7. I'm not a fan of a/c but if you can afford it, it does help maintain a cooler temp.

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that 82 isn't really cause for concern, but if it goes higher or if you're still worried, I'm a big fan of the fan-pointed-at-water method. I keep axolotls (a type of aquatic salamander that needs cool water temps) and a fan makes as much as a 4 degree difference on my tank. I also keep the tanks lidless, but axolotls are far less likely escapees than some fish species.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads