Fish Tales

Noobie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow aquarists!

As the name implies, i'm enjoying my first aquarium. As a beginner, i chose a 10 gal tank, 4 tiger barbs and a redtail shark as "guinea pigs". I didn't know anything about "setting up" the tank until after i had put fish in it, but i quickly learned the ways of the fish fan. One of the barbs died less than 24 hours after bringing it home, which the pet store was gracious enough to replace. Since then, I've had to treat for Ich, and am dealing with erroneous ammonia test strips. (The strips indicate fatal levels of 3-6, but i didn't have a tank full of dead fish). A trip to the pet store with a water sample, confirmed my suspicions, as their test showed a level between .25 and .5

Possibly a bit premature, but today I purchased 2 tin foil barbs to add to the community. I'm aware they'll get quite large, but hopefully, they'll grow at a rate that'll give me enough time to get their new home, already in the planning stages. The "ultimate" tank in my mind is 120+ gal, containing 4 tin foils, 4-6 bala sharks, a few clown loaches, and maybe a spotted pleco, or pictus catfish.

Less than an hour after introducing the tin foils to the community, all seems peaceful. Fingers crossed.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to the site! I dont' know about the tinfoil barbs, but the tigers will grow fairly rapidly.

Noobie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
welcome to fishlore!

Got a few links that might help you out, some products that we use:
- Vitachem (useful for any fish)
- API master freshwater test kit (we use this for our testing)
- NovAqua+ and/or
- Prime (for treating your tap water)
- Ich-Attack (we use this to treat ich)

Best of luck with your first tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
Carol

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

FishPirateL337

Valued Member
Reaction score
I hope you did cycle that tank, if not, you're gonna have lots of problems.

Tinfoils will get way to big for that tank. Look into getting a bigger tank for them.

This site has tons info for you to learn. Please do your fish a favor, and do so. ;D

Fish are fun and relaxing and in no way simple. If cared for correctly, they will provide years
of enjoyment.

Welcome BTW

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom