Fish swimming erratically/diagonally downward

PizzaStina

Hi all,

I've had a 10 gallon tank with 4 GloFish Tetras and 1 nerite snail going strong for 14 months.

I noticed recently one of my fish will swim kind of strangely on and off, during the day time. She tilts down a little diagonally and swims kind of frantically. I haven't seen her do this at night when the blue light is on, then she tends to chill.

Here's a video:

Any thoughts? Could it be a swim bladder thing or is this fish just a weirdo?

To add: She is eating just fine, in fact I feel like I notice this behavior the most after I feed them. I feed once a day.

EnlightenedOne

What are you feeding them? If it's flake it could be that the air in the flake is causing her to have buoyancy issues. To counter act that soak the food before you add it. I pinch my food between my fingers and hold it in the water. You'll feel it mush up and expand. Then release. Otherwise someone else may have better advise.

PizzaStina

What are you feeding them? If it's flake it could be that the air in the flake is causing her to have buoyancy issues. To counter act that soak the food before you add it. I pinch my food between my fingers and hold it in the water. You'll feel it mush up and expand. Then release. Otherwise someone else may have better advise.

Oh that's a good tip. I rotate between flakes, pellets and freeze dried brine. Today I fed flakes and it was right after that that I noticed her doing this consistently... she's been doing it all day so I'm thinking fast them a day or two and maybe try an epsom salt bath?

One thing that sucks about this timing is I'm moving apartments on Sunday so I had a whole plan to move them and the tank at the very end... lol.

EnlightenedOne

Ah that sucks... I have MTS and I dread the idea of moving my tanks.... I've got 6. LOL.
The pellets try to presoak them too, just a few minutes. and the brine as well. Short of squeezing out the air from the brine you won't be able to have all if it sink but at least it will soak and remove a good bit of air in them. Good luck!

PizzaStina

Ah that sucks... I have MTS and I dread the idea of moving my tanks.... I've got 6. LOL.
The pellets try to presoak them too, just a few minutes. and the brine as well. Short of squeezing out the air from the brine you won't be able to have all if it sink but at least it will soak and remove a good bit of air in them. Good luck!

well the good news is I just came back from being gone a couple hours, and she looks like she's back to normal! I guess she just got an airy flake at lunch today and had to pass some gas... lol.

Thanks for the tips on feeding to help prevent it. I do soak the brine but will do the same for flakes and pallets from now on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Amnasajjad126
Replies
Views
Amnasajjad126
Replies
Views
Slug
Replies
Views