Fish survived a 13 hour power outage in zero degree weather!

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by lp89, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lp89Valued MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    My city had a huge snow storm yesterday which knocked out my power for 13 hours. My bedroom temperature slowly crept down to 3 degrees Celsius (37F) but I managed to save my fish tank by wrapping my tank in a huge goose down blanket and pillows, and not feeding them the day before in case we lost power. The temperature dropped to 19C(66F), and thankfully everyone survived. I am absolutely amazed at how well the blankets kept the temperature. I frantically checked the tank every hour, it was such a stressful day.

Today the water is back to normal temperature of 25C(78F) and water parameters are 0/0/5. Everyone seems fine, except ONE rasbora who is covered in tiny white salt-like dots.

I have never had a fish with ich in my tank before and need help treating it. I have seen links floating around for the natural temperature method but given that my fish have just been through TWO large temperature swings in just 24 hours, should I consider a different treatment?

2. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

i would raise the temp a little bit increase aeration and do a 20-30% water change . Then i would check on it for the next few days. If its still there or spreads then i would treat it with some meds. Just my opinion other may have better info

3. lp89Valued MemberMember

thanks for the advice.
    bump for more opinions

4. annewaldronValued MemberMember

5. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

I saw pictures on facebook about your storm-- you guys got NAILED bad!

Not to hijack your post, but once when I lost power I actually heated the room the tank was in with candles-- about 12 of them! If your aquarium is in a small room, as mine was, this actually works. Just make sure to stay in the same room with them at all times... talk about a fire hazard. :(

6. lp89Valued MemberMember

Orion, it was a MONSTER storm and basically shut down the entire city. 55cm of snow(less than predicted 70cm), wind gusts up to 130 km/hr, and at one point 75,000 customers without power.

Had to share some pictures:
    490176_Valeen Kielly.JPG980153_Stephanie Snow.jpeg166354_Derek Layman.JPG

And my favourite picture:
    309451_459178104142312_1047663793_n.jpg
    True Canadians are resourceful!

7. slimeneoValued MemberMember

Oh my gosh, that's A LOT of snow. I think if we ever had that amount of snow in Maryland, everyone would panic and the state would be shut down for weeks. We panic for even 3 inches of snow (anything about 2 inches of snow means no school here)..

Glad the fish are ok! I agree with cichlidman, & maybe feed garlic soaked foods to boost their immune systems :)

8. lp89Valued MemberMember

Haha! Newfies are known to be a little crazy and it certainly takes a LOT of snow (and white-out high winds), for the city to shut down.
    They even cancelled a hockey game friday night, and I guarantee if it had gone ahead there would not be one empty seat in that stadium. I know a few people who would have risked their lives to get there.. haha, crazy indeed!

I love snow, but not if it knocks out my power and threatens my fishies...
    I will definitely research garlic soaking my food, never heard of this before (still very new to fish keeping).

9. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

How'd you get out of the house??

10. slimeneoValued MemberMember

I love snow too. Unfortunately we haven't gotten much snow here in Maryland.. it was like 60 degrees yesterday, craaazy.

Have you heard of NLS fish food? they have garlic soaked fish foods. Here's some info about it:  

11. lp89Valued MemberMember

Lol! Lucky for us the snow was the light and fluffy kind. What you're seeing by the doors are snow drifts, so once you dug through them with a shovel the snow was not as high on the other side. Took about 3 hours to snow-blow our driveway, patios, and a little area of our back garden (I've got a golden retriever who needs space outside). It was quite a day.. haha

12. lp89Valued MemberMember

I actually ordered some NLS off amazon last week. They didn't carry it at my LFS. I'll have to check to see if it is the garlic kind.

13. annewaldronValued MemberMember

I wanted to chime back in here and say that my worry in my other thread about the Ich not being gone might have been unfounded. After observing the fish all day, I think the spot I'm seeing is just an iridescent anomaly in the scales of this already iridescent fish!

So if I'm right and the Ich is truly gone, then treating naturally will have worked for me.

14. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Easy: drink the beer and go through the 'fridge'...

15. lp89Valued MemberMember

That's great news Anne! This is my very first encounter with ICH, but I imagine I will be like you and start to "see"/create spots on other fish from watching them too closely. I'm really glad the natural method worked for you, so anxious to get rid of the disease!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice