Fish Suggestions

1. Toadlets Member Member

Why hello there,

I’m looking for fish to complete my 20 gal tank. Right now, if you go bythe 1 inch of fish per gallon rule, I’ve filled 15 gal+ 3 Amano shrimp... Current fish are 2 phantom Tetras, 4 Endlers Livebearers, 3 Neon Tetras and my Pleco. Any suggestions as to some final fish? Maybe a pair of some kind?

Thank you!!
  2. 75g Discus Tank Well Known Member Member

You will need to up both tetra schools to at least 8. That would make the tank overstocked. I recommend rehoming the tetras. Do not go by the 1 gallon per inch rule. That would make a 10 foot shark go into a 120 gallon tank which is nowhere near enough.

Also what kind of pleco is it? I wouldn't recommend plecos in anything under 30 gallons. Many people keep smaller pleco species like BN plecos in 20 longs but they do a lot of maintenance like more WCs per week.

So 4 endlers and 1 pleco left(If it is a smaller species) will leave a decent amount of room.

What filtration do you have? Also what temp? Substrate? Any plants?

3. Toadlets Member Member

Wow, ok. It is a BN Pleco, it’s pretty small. I have a TopFin 20 power filter. Temp is 75, substrate is Seachem Flourite and a fair amount of plants. Would it be ok if I left the tank like that? Just keep the amount of fish at that?
  4. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Is this a 20 long or high?

5. Toadlets Member Member

6. 75g Discus Tank Well Known Member Member

A centerpiece could be 2-3 honey gourami.
  7. Toadlets Member Member

So that is...

2 phantom Tetras
    3 Neon Tetras
    4 Endlers
    3 Amano Shrimp
    The Pleco

And the Honey Gouramis?

8. 75g Discus Tank Well Known Member Member

I suggest rehoming the tetras as they would need a larger school of at least 8 per school which would be too much. You can do:

4 endlers
    3 amano shrimp
    2 honey gourami

Just make sure to gravel vac a lot and do more larger WCs.
  9. toeknee Member Member

tetras really need to be in schools of 6 or more. and your tank can really only support one school of tetras. So I would pick one of the schools and up them to 6-8 and re home the other tetras. I have a 20 long and really wanted a pleco but every article and forum I read suggests 20 gallons is too small for any pleco, even a b.n. In you're tank you could do either one school of 6-8 phantom tetras or neon tetras, 4 endlers, 2 honey gouramis and you could add many more amano shrimp, maybe some mystery snails or rabbit snails too.
  10. Toadlets Member Member

Ok. I understand that Tetras need to be in schools of 6-8. However, the Neons school with the endlers. Does that count? Is that ok? I don’t really want to rehome them.

I believe the Pleco is fine. I’ll do frequent large water changes and make sure he and the other fish have a healthy environment.

11. puffer boi Well Known Member Member

no that wont work they only school with there own speceis

12. Toadlets Member Member

Ok then.

I think for now, I’ll leave the tank the way it is. Will there be any serious consequences to not having the minimum amount of Tetras for a school?
  13. 75g Discus Tank Well Known Member Member

The tetras will be stressed and will not behave naturally.
  14. toeknee Member Member

They often have shorter life spans when not kept in schools since they are always stressed. Making them more prone to disease. They need numbers to feel safe. And as said above they just won't behave naturally.
  15. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Are the phantom tetras red or black? I would rehome the BN pleco because it would need a bigger tank; they can get up to 5".
    The reason why the neon tetras are schooling with the endlers is because that there is no other neons to school with. So, no that doesn't count.
    Tetras would have a shorter lifespan if kept in less than 6 of their own species.
  16. Toadlets Member Member

The phantom Tetras are black.
  17. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, so it isn't recommended to keep two schools of top-mid fish in a 20 high, so I would rehome either the neon tetras or the black phantoms. I'd also rehome the BN pleco because it will need a bigger tank soon.

I'd do:

6 neon tetras or 6 black phantoms
    4 endlers
    2 bolivian rams (1M/1F or 2F)
  18. Toadlets Member Member

I’ve had the Pleco for almost a year now. He hasn’t got any bigger...

Could I perhaps rehome both the phantom Tetras and the Neon Tetras, add the Bolivian Rams and keep the Pleco?
  19. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

BN plecos require at least a 30" tank. Could you upgrade the tank? I'd really suggest transferring him to a bigger tank.

Rehoming the phantoms and neons doesn't free up space for the pleco because they live at different parts of the tank. Also, I wouldn't do both the bolivians and pleco together.