Fish Suggestions For A Community Tank With Mollies And Their Medium Sized Babies

DerekForDayz

HI everyone. I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 mollies, a dalmation molly and a black lyretail molly. I am not completely sure but I think the dalmation is a male and the black lyretail is a female, because there are babies in the tank and the other mollies I used to have passed away during the cycling process. (stupid, I know) The babies are at least a month old now and they are about 4 cm across, just big enough so that the adult mollies can't eat them. The tank has been set up for at least 3 months now, and I haven't gotten any new fish since the beginning. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

qchris87

Welcome to Fishlore!

Is there any type of fish you're interested in?
For bottom dwellers, a shoal of corydoras is always nice.

Sion

If you've got a breeding pair of mollies you're going to quickly end up with with a tank full of mollies with no space for anything else.

If you're not interested in breeding the mollies I'd swap out the female and fry (when a bit bigger) then you'll have lots of space for a upper schooling fish and bottom schooling fish.

DerekForDayz

Welcome to Fishlore!

Thanks! I was thinking of some of those. What is the difference between corys and plecos?

DerekForDayz

If you've got a breeding pair of mollies you're going to quickly end up with with a tank full of mollies with no space for anything else.

If you're not interested in breeding the mollies I'd swap out the female and fry (when a bit bigger) then you'll have lots of space for a upper schooling fish and bottom schooling fish.
Yeah, I'm not interested in breeding them. So where do you think I should take them? Pet store?

DerekForDayz

Welcome to Fishlore!

I also forgot to add: how many corydoras do you think I should get? I know they are a schooling fish and prefer being in schools of 6, but I don't think I can hold that many in my tank.

MsMarch

In general: cories are small, plecos are big. In a 30 with just a few mollies you could easily have 7 or 8 cories depending on the type. Most plecos are too big for a 30, although you might be able to get away with one extremely small variety-- they're so messy though. Wouldn't recommend it.

DerekForDayz

In general: cories are small, plecos are big. In a 30 with just a few mollies you could easily have 7 or 8 cories depending on the type. Most plecos are too big for a 30, although you might be able to get away with one extremely small variety-- they're so messy though. Wouldn't recommend it.
So if I were to also get fish other than the mollies, do you think 4 corys would work?

Sion

So if I were to also get fish other than the mollies, do you think 4 corys would work?
Work out what the other fish are first, then you know what temperature range your corys would need to be happy at. Different corys like different temperature ranges.

Answering your previous question, either talk to a fish store of post on here and you should be able to rehome the unwanted mollies.

DerekForDayz

Work out what the other fish are first, then you know what temperature range your corys would need to be happy at. Different corys like different temperature ranges.

Answering your previous question, either talk to a fish store of post on here and you should be able to rehome the unwanted mollies.
Thanks for answering so quickly. I origanally made this thread for that purpose, to find out what fish people think would be good for this size of tank.

WadeEH

Cories are schooling fish, so you should have them in a group of at least 6. Also they must all be the same species of Cory. Don't get a mixture of different types.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom