Fish Suggestions - Compatible with Large Common Pl*co

1. canuck Initiate Member

We have a 5+ year old 33 gallon tank that is now down to a single (albiet 14 inch) common pl*co.
    My kids have been bugging me to add some other, more colorful fish to the upper layers.

When we first got the tank, we had a school of giant danios for cycling.  They all lasted 5 years and chased after anything that we tried to add.  We had some red-eyed Tetras that lasted about 2 years.  Cory cats only seemed to last about 6 months or less.

Any suggestions on something bright and hardy we could add to the mid and upper layers of the tank?
    Given the size of the pl*co versus the tank, I was thinking about adding either one or two groups of 5-7 smaller schooling fish.
    I do not use aquarium salt in the tank at this time (we stopped when we got the cory cats and never restarted).

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

That is great that you grew that pleco out to such a big size! Unfortunately, he is really too big for that size tank. Plecos are such big poopers as you already know, that the waste it produces really affects your water quality, and it would be hard to put too many types of fish in there with it except for the very hardy types like danios. Have you considered selling your pleco to someone with a pond? I know the LFS here love to get the larger plecos for this reason. If you choose to keep him, I'd suggest maybe a different kind of danio like a small school of zebra danios or tiger barbs. A bristlenose pleco would be a great choice for a replacement pleco and would open up the options for that tank. Just curious, but how large of a water change do you do, and how often?

3. Craig Well Known Member Member

yeah the bristlenose is a great suckerfish small but effective really good 2 hav 1

4. JustinT Initiate Member

I have a bristlenose and he's been a very good fish. I like him alot, but I need to get rid of him because he eats my plants. How much would it cost to ship a fish? Also, about the fish to add...I agree with tiger barbs. They also have albino tigers and green barbs and various other versions of the tiger barb. Cool semi-aggressive fish. (I wouldn't be so sure about cherry barbs though, they're not the same)

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

The bristlenose shouldn't be eating your plants. Are you feeding him algae wafers? Also try fresh veggies like a slice of zucchini tied to a rock with string or a rubber band.

6. JustinT Initiate Member

He won't eat zucchini! Strange huh? But he loves sinking wafers. Eats lots of algae too. I think he eats tiny bits off plants and 'accidentally' damages them. He's got a big mouth!

7. canuck Initiate Member

We are getting pretty lazy with water changes - about 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank every 3-4 weeks.
    That's part of the reason I have been delaying getting any more fish.  Like with every other pet in the house, somehow Mom ends up being the one doing the caretaking for the fishtank at the end of the day.  If we get more fish, I will have to get back to every other week.  Like you say, a pl*co that big is a prolific pooper!

I like the idea of a small school of some type of Danios.  I am kind of attached to the Pl*co.  Think I will go down that route.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Canuck,
    Check your nitrates for a week or 2. Change out enough water to show zero nitrates when you do your next water change, and then check the nitrates frequently until you reach 20 ppm. However many days that takes to happen is how often you need to do a water change. I normally do a 50% water change on all of my tanks except my turtle tank every week. The speedster (turtle) gets a 100% water change every week.