Fish Suddenly Died

MJK

New Member
Member
Messages
27
OK here is the situation, my 17 gallon tank (60x30x36) is one month old. Two days ago I went to buy sand substrate and I put into my tank, turning water cloudy as I forgot to wash the sand. Today one of my white cloud died. Is it cause of the sand? I have also been using my toilet pail and I suspect about it also as sometimes detergent is used in the pail but I washed carefully before doing WC. Currently pH 7. I saw my white cloud having white eyes and stomach red in colour.. Most important
How do I rectify my situation now??
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,008
MJK said:
OK here is the situation, my 17 gallon tank (60x30x36) is one month old. Two days ago I went to buy sand substrate and I put into my tank, turning water cloudy as I forgot to wash the sand. Today one of my white cloud died. Is it cause of the sand? I have also been using my toilet pail and I suspect about it also as sometimes detergent is used in the pail but I washed carefully before doing WC. Currently pH 7. I saw my white cloud having white eyes and stomach red in colour.. Most important
How do I rectify my situation now??
Your White cloud probably was sick when you dumped the dirty sand in the tank. The toilet bucket didn't help the situation any either. Do a big water change (80-90%) now and vacuum the new sand thoroughly while you are draining the water. Get an aquarium test kit and test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. I'm assuming you didn't cycle your tank before putting fish in there?
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
M

MJK

New Member
Member
Messages
27
Momgoose56 said:
Your White cloud probably was sick when you dumped the dirty sand in the tank. The toilet bucket didn't help the situation any either. Do a big water change (80-90%) now and vacuum the new sand thoroughly while you are draining the water. Get an aquarium test kit and test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. I'm assuming you didn't cycle your tank before putting fish in there?
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Well it has been a month while I am doing a fish cycle on the tank. My panda corydoras all died when I added after the sand.. Now only 2 white clouds and cherry barbs are surviving

MJK said:
Well it has been a month while I am doing a fish cycle on the tank. My panda corydoras all died when I added after the sand.. Now only 2 white clouds and cherry barbs are surviving
If 80-90% water change won't it shocked the fish and they will die? I did 90% Water change before and after a few days some fish died
 

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,196
Is the tank still cloudy? Since the sand is already in the tank you might as well do water changes to help clear up the cloudiness. A gravel vacuum would help in your situation. Since you're doing a fish-in cycle, do you have a test kit or know your parameters?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
M

MJK

New Member
Member
Messages
27
MaximumRide14 said:
Is the tank still cloudy? Since the sand is already in the tank you might as well do water changes to help clear up the cloudiness. A gravel vacuum would help in your situation. Since you're doing a fish-in cycle, do you have a test kit or know your parameters?
Hi, my tank is not cloudy anymore. Nope I don't have a test kit for water parameters
 

Asomeone

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Wait a toilet pail? As in the same thing you use to clean the bathroom? No offense but please go buy a new bucket. theyre $5 bucks from home depot and $2.50 from walmart (east coast US) Sand won't kill your fish. Yes it made it a bit cloudy but the fish will be alright. Grab yourself a cheap API master kit from petco, petsmart,pet supplies plus....or I dare say even the 5 test strips. The strips aren't very accurate but you'll have an approximate value on your parameters.
If you're using the same bucket as you use heavy chemicals you will absolutely kill fish. I know by practice because when I used to be an aircraft mechanic I'd come home with all types of chemicals that most wouldn't even know the name of....They didn't wash off with the standard soap. I killed many a fish by sticking my contaminated hands in the tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
M

MJK

New Member
Member
Messages
27
Asomeone said:
Wait a toilet pail? As in the same thing you use to clean the bathroom? No offense but please go buy a new bucket. theyre $5 bucks from home depot and $2.50 from walmart (east coast US) Sand won't kill your fish. Yes it made it a bit cloudy but the fish will be alright. Grab yourself a cheap API master kit from petco, petsmart,pet supplies plus....or I dare say even the 5 test strips. The strips aren't very accurate but you'll have an approximate value on your parameters.
If you're using the same bucket as you use heavy chemicals you will absolutely kill fish. I know by practice because when I used to be an aircraft mechanic I'd come home with all types of chemicals that most wouldn't even know the name of....They didn't wash off with the standard soap. I killed many a fish by sticking my contaminated hands in the tank.
Yes, got myself a new bucket. One question, how do I remedy my situation now, since I have used the toilet pail for one month, this means my bio media bacteria dies? Now what should I do? 100%water change? Old biomedia cannot be used anymore
 

Asomeone

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Biomedia is present in your tank. In the filter,substrate, and walls/decor of your tank. Water changes, while they can be stressful will normally not decimate a population....In an established Freshwater tank. Given that you may have still been cycling your best bet is to hope for the best through proper treatment of source water and water changes, as well as getting a test kit. Understanding if you have high ammonia, nitrate or nitrite will enable those members of fishlore to give you proper (non guessing) advice.
Edit I would not continue the practice of huge water changes. I'd do at most a 50% change with clean treated water. After that I'd let the levels dictate the water change frequency. It could be as little as 5gal per week. It depends on your individual tank parameters.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
M

MJK

New Member
Member
Messages
27
Asomeone said:
Biomedia is present in your tank. In the filter,substrate, and walls/decor of your tank. Water changes, while they can be stressful will normally not decimate a population....In an established Freshwater tank. Given that you may have still been cycling your best bet is to hope for the best through proper treatment of source water and water changes, as well as getting a test kit. Understanding if you have high ammonia, nitrate or nitrite will enable those members of fishlore to give you proper (non guessing) advice.
Will the detergent kill my bacteria in my tank? Causing the bio media in my filter to all die? If so, I need to change my filter bio media?
 

Asomeone

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
You need to test your levels to determine if your bio colonies have passed on. If you still have live fish in the tank that are active/happy....you can determine this based on pages on fishlore relative to their stress....then no it didn't kill all of the biocolonies. But! soaps/detergent will absolutely kill bacteria and fish. I know you're stressing but I feel like you need to step back and breathe....let the tank do what it does and go from there. If you get testing equipment you will be able to determine exactly what you need to do. Right now were just guessing.
I wouldnt change the sponge in your filter as it holds a large portion of BB (beneficial bacteria)
Yes detergent will kill just about anything in the tank but! let things simmer. Things take time in aquariums if you have corrected the issues with the bucket maybe things will work out while you wait for testing equipment.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,008
MJK said:
PH 7 now. Not sure about nitrite or nitrates
Get a test kit that measures pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and we can help you. Otherwise, we will be guessing what the problem is and will be no help at all. I believe you are poisoning your fish with ammonia and/or nitrites and/or nitrates but I don't know. The only way to know is to test the water. You may help your fish by doing big water changes once or twice a week but again, the only way to know is to test the water. The only way you're going to remove the cloudy mess from your sand is by doing a few big water changes and vacuuming the tank. Get a test kit and test your water. That will tell you what is killing your fish. That's the best advice I can give you without knowing what is going on with your water.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
M

MJK

New Member
Member
Messages
27
Asomeone said:
You need to test your levels to determine if your bio colonies have passed on. If you still have live fish in the tank that are active/happy....you can determine this based on pages on fishlore relative to their stress....then no it didn't kill all of the biocolonies. But! soaps/detergent will absolutely kill bacteria and fish. I know you're stressing but I feel like you need to step back and breathe....let the tank do what it does and go from there. If you get testing equipment you will be able to determine exactly what you need to do. Right now were just guessing.
I wouldnt change the sponge in your filter as it holds a large portion of BB (beneficial bacteria)
Yes detergent will kill just about anything in the tank but! let things simmer. Things take time in aquariums if you have corrected the issues with the bucket maybe things will work out while you wait for testing equipment.
Thanks for the help, I will get the test kits to see what is going on
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
193
Guests online
2,391
Total visitors
2,584

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom