Fish Stores around Lexington Kentucky??

Discussion in 'USA Fish Stores' started by JustinF, Apr 8, 2010.

1. JustinF

JustinFValued MemberMember

Does anyone know all the fish stores that are good in the Lexington - Somerset, Kentucky area?

2. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

Lexington doesn't have any quality stores anymore. The last good store was JustFish, it closed last year after a tragic power outage caused all stock to die. Regency Pets, Lansdowne Pets and Best Pets (I worked there) closed years ago. IncrediPet is OK, (like a Mom and Pop PetsMart), quarantine the fish for at least 2 weeks (personal experience) and make sure you treat the plants for little nasties. I got a serious hydra epidemic from some plants there.
    Louisville has better stores.
    There are some good private breeders around Lexington and many in the Louisville Area.

3. OP
    OP
    JustinF

Thanks for the advise, I wish there was better options cause Louisville is more than 2 hours from where I live. :(

4. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

That stinks. You might try looking around Cincinnati if the drive isn't too bad.

5. ldbrown3138

Cincinnati is also 2 hours +/- from Somerset. For me, Louisville is 3.5 hours and Cincy is 5 + hours. I'm planning a trip to St Louis, there's a couple of good stores there and it's just a couple hours away and the zoo is awesome!

6. OP
    OP
    JustinF

It's all so far I use to go to Jack's Pets in Cincy and they always seemed to have good things and thats where I got my Marineland 20 Gallon tank. I'm just scared about transporting fish from that great a distance, I'm afraid if they die it would be my fault and I'd feel bad. (plus no exchange if they weren't healthy) I guess I'm just stuck with what I've got.

7. ldbrown3138

Fish travel great distances every day under some pretty extreme conditions. The next time you are traveling, take a cooler and the last thing before you leave, visit a fish store. If you see something you like, get it. Tell the person bagging the fish you are traveling and you are all set. Keep the fish in the bag in the cooler (no icy cold ones in this cooler), this ensures they don't get too hot or cold. Your new fish will be fine till you get home. I brought home a dozen discus from a trip to Columbus Ohio, no losses. That's a long trip.

8. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I moved most of my fish over 400 miles when I came to GA. They were bagged for probably 20 hours. I didn't have any trouble at all. Don't worry about taking a few hours to get fish home. It's really not a big deal. :)

9. OP
    OP
    JustinF

I guess I was just scared because the LFS guy said it couldn't stay in the bag more than an hour. I bought a dwarf gourami once and it took an 1 1/2hrs by the time I got him in he didn't make it. (I'm not a 100% sure he wasn't already sick though)

10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Justin,

If you're concerned about traveling more than an hour with fish, you have a couple of options. My LFS (and hour away) adds oxygen into the bag and I always ask them to add a dose of Nova Aqua + (stress reliever adds body slime) and a does of Amquel + to detox any ammonia that might be in there.

If they don't add oxygen then you could use a battery powered air supply and just place the stone in the bag.

Place the bag in a cooler to help keep a steady temperature. Make sure the bag doesn't fall over. Fill any empty spaces in the cooler with paper or foam just to make sure the bag remains upright.

Ken

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  11. OP
    OP
    JustinF

Thanks. Ken I never knew that they made a battery power air supply, cool. I've read things about dwarf gouramis being very unhealth because of there breeding do you know if that's true or just some rumors being posted on the web?

12. ldbrown3138

LFS guys don't know everything. I know, I used to be one and I worked with some real dunderheads. We had one guy, I think his name was Russell, if he didn't know and was sure the customer didn't know, he'd make up an answer. The worst thing though, he didn't care, it was a job, he didn't want to know.

13. OP
    OP
    JustinF

Wow that's crazy just to make stuff up, I kinda wonder do they get any commision or incentive to misinform? There is only one LFS other than the Walmart which I hate though they just don't look healthy in there.

14. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

It's my understanding that Dwarf Gourami's may be prone to the Iridovirus. Some of our members have experienced this first hand. However, not all Gourami's are affected.

The link above may help you. Scroll down to the Gourami Iridovirus section.
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice