Fish Stocking/Setup

1. jhurt18

jhurt18 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a new 55 Gallon aquarium cycling. I need help with 2 issues. One would be that I currently have Blood Parrot Cichlid and I have no idea what to put him with. I'd prefer some colorful fish. I'd love to have some angels. I know I should get a pleco, but I'm not sure what kind. Second, how should I setup this aquarium? I have no idea what to put inside of it. Thanks for your help!

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +37
    As far as colorful tankmates Im not overly sure, theres a few that keep BP's on here that might be able to help ya with that.

As for the pleco, I wouldnt worry about him unless your having some issues with algae or a dirty tank but usually that is from over feeding and can be easily controlled.

As to the design, that really depends on what your looking for in a tank. There are literally thousands of pictures out there on tank designs. Do you have a general idea of what your looking for? I know that BP's need places to hide like teracota flower pots or other types of hiding places. Its really up to you on that end. I would take a look around and see if there is anything you really like. Its all personal preference in the end.

3. Lexi03

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +42
    From what I understand BPs and angels isn't an ideal mix, the bps can ram them into things and kill them. Why "should" you get a pleco? You shouldn't get any fish you don't really want.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    You know a kinda cool tank mate is a Bonsai Kilin Flowerhorn. I only say that because I have 2 BP with 1 Bonsai. The Bonsai is blue and purple and sets off the orange really well. They also grow to about the same size. Mine is about 2.5 inches and he is a year old. I keep them in a 60 along with an Oscar... but I do know I need to get them more space for ALL of them. I want to keep them together since they all get along so well (other than the occassional squabble). Just a thought.

5. OP
    OP
    jhurt18

jhurt18 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I say "should" because I know tanks get dirty with left over food and algae and things like that.

6. Lexi03

Ratings:
    +42
    Here is a list of fish I will be keeping with my bps, but my tank is larger, in a 55gal, I don't think you can fit many tank mates.

Harlequin rasboras
    Bolivian rams
    L239 pleco
    Yoyo loaches

7. Lexi03

Ratings:
    +42
    That's what gravel vacs and algea scrubbers are for.:)

8. OP
    OP
    jhurt18

jhurt18 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Flower pots are something that I've thought of. They seem to be cheap and very versatile. I also considered some driftwood and some plants varying in size.

9. Lexi03

Ratings:
    +42
    Fake plants or real ones? Bps like to dig when they get older.

10. OP
    OP
    jhurt18

jhurt18 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fake ones.

11. Lexi03

Ratings:
    +42
    That sounds good then, I have terracotta pots in a few tanks too, I really like them.

12. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Mine like to play with the plants. When I tried a test plant, I couldn't keep it in the gravel. It was like a bowling ball to the BP's and other fish. So a definate no on the real plants.

13. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +37
    you might be able to do some moss balls or something for real plants as they could play with them.