Fish Stocking/Setup

1. jhurt18 Initiate Member

I currently have a new 55 Gallon aquarium cycling. I need help with 2 issues. One would be that I currently have Blood Parrot Cichlid and I have no idea what to put him with. I'd prefer some colorful fish. I'd love to have some angels. I know I should get a pleco, but I'm not sure what kind. Second, how should I setup this aquarium? I have no idea what to put inside of it. Thanks for your help!

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

As far as colorful tankmates Im not overly sure, theres a few that keep BP's on here that might be able to help ya with that.

As for the pleco, I wouldnt worry about him unless your having some issues with algae or a dirty tank but usually that is from over feeding and can be easily controlled.

As to the design, that really depends on what your looking for in a tank. There are literally thousands of pictures out there on tank designs. Do you have a general idea of what your looking for? I know that BP's need places to hide like teracota flower pots or other types of hiding places. Its really up to you on that end. I would take a look around and see if there is anything you really like. Its all personal preference in the end.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

From what I understand BPs and angels isn't an ideal mix, the bps can ram them into things and kill them. Why "should" you get a pleco? You shouldn't get any fish you don't really want.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You know a kinda cool tank mate is a Bonsai Kilin Flowerhorn. I only say that because I have 2 BP with 1 Bonsai. The Bonsai is blue and purple and sets off the orange really well. They also grow to about the same size. Mine is about 2.5 inches and he is a year old. I keep them in a 60 along with an Oscar... but I do know I need to get them more space for ALL of them. I want to keep them together since they all get along so well (other than the occassional squabble). Just a thought.

5. jhurt18 Initiate Member

I say "should" because I know tanks get dirty with left over food and algae and things like that.

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Here is a list of fish I will be keeping with my bps, but my tank is larger, in a 55gal, I don't think you can fit many tank mates.

Harlequin rasboras
    Bolivian rams
    L239 pleco
    Yoyo loaches

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

That's what gravel vacs and algea scrubbers are for.:)

8. jhurt18 Initiate Member

Flower pots are something that I've thought of. They seem to be cheap and very versatile. I also considered some driftwood and some plants varying in size.

9. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Fake plants or real ones? Bps like to dig when they get older.

10. jhurt18 Initiate Member

Fake ones.

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

That sounds good then, I have terracotta pots in a few tanks too, I really like them.

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Mine like to play with the plants. When I tried a test plant, I couldn't keep it in the gravel. It was like a bowling ball to the BP's and other fish. So a definate no on the real plants.

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

you might be able to do some moss balls or something for real plants as they could play with them.