Fish Stocking Questions. Please help

1. carjr99 Initiate Member

So obviously I'm fairly new to the whole fish keeping hobby and as a result I'm not exactly sure what to stock my tank with. The tank itself is an Aqueon 13 gallon widescreen tank with an LED lighting system. The filter is the Aqueon 10 QuietFlow. I'm looking to stock the tank with as many freshwater fish as healthy. I would love any feedback as to what I should stock the tank with, and would be happy to answer any further questions. Thanks!

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

that's an unusually long tank for 13 gallons. But that's great as it gives you more options. It's the same length as a 20 high just not as deep.

Are there any fish that stand out to you? Just to give you an idea, you want something at the top, middle, and bottom.

Top suggestions would be something like a few male guppies or honey gourami

Middle would be a nice schooling fish like harlequin rasboras or neon tetras perhaps (lots of options)

For the bottom you could do a little school of pygmy cory cats (6-8) or perhaps a single bolivian ram.

welcome to fishlore!

3. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Try looking at the 10 gallon stocking sticky. I'm in mobile and can't link it myself that way, but it would most likely aid you.

Invertebrates, like shrimp, are always an option to fill out the bottom

4. carjr99 Initiate Member

Would something like 3 male guppies, 5 neon tetras and 6 Cory cats work?

5. Grimund Well Known Member Member

What are the tank dimensions?

6. carjr99 Initiate Member

24"L x 8"W x 16"H

7. Grimund Well Known Member Member

That's a little shy of the floor space of a 10 gallon and isn't really suitable for cories. It's not the gallons, it's the dimensions.

Pygmy Cories might work though, although I can't say for sure. You'd be looking at stocking it like it's a 10 gallon tank with those dimensions

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

24 inches long is the length of a 20 gallon high. It's thin which is a bit limiting but the length gives more options than a standard 10

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

It's still a smaller area on the bottom than a regular 10. 220 in^2 for a standard 10 gallon, 312 in^2 for a 20 high, and 192 in^2 for his tank.

It doesn't afford the space for cories, that's what I was getting at.

It does offer space for more active fish, like danio, I agree on that, but there isn't too much he gains access to with it.