Fish Staying On One Side of Tank - Fixed!!

Betta02

Reaction score
Hi all, have a question. I have a 65 gallon aquarium with about 20 small fish in it. When I first put the fish in, everyone was using the whole tank, seemed happy. But I noticed a couple days ago that my Hatchets and Rasboras are only using half the tank. They will get to the halfway point, turn around fast, and go back the other way. I have two filters on the tank, one that is higher flow, and the other turned down. The heater is located right in the middle, so I suspected maybe the heater was malfunctioning, (don't know if I can name brands, but have had terrible luck with these). The temperature is reading fine, but I went ahead and unplugged the heater temporarily to see if they would go to the other side. They haven't. My Cories are moving around fine, and so is my Pleco. They are staying on the side with the higher filtration, which I would think the Hatchets would stay where there is less flow. The one filter was just put on a few days ago because the other one quit working, I have adjusted the flow on that one, tried higher, and then lower to see if that made a difference. It didn't. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
Temp 76
Two filters: 1 Marineland Penguin 275, 1 Penn Plax 300

Attachments

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank is pretty barren, with more structure and less open spaces the fish would feel more secure. Right now they stick to their group, as would such fish do when stressed.

The hatchet fish would do better with floating plants, the rasbora would do better with more plants, too. Considered live plants?

Also, I hope you replugged the heater. ;)

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with MacZ the fish are congregating at the end with the most decor. The problem is likely not enough hardscape and maybe a little too much light.

OP
Betta02

Betta02

Reaction score
Ok. I don't know why they were fine for two weeks before now, but you guys are the experts! I'll see what I have in my plant stash and put some more plants in. I want to do live plants, but have no experience. Think that would be better attempted in my 13 gallon Betta tank instead of this one. Up to my armpit trying to reach the bottom in this tank. That plan will have to wait till post-pandemic

MacZ said:
The tank is pretty barren, with more structure and less open spaces the fish would feel more secure. Right now they stick to their group, as would such fish do when stressed.

The hatchet fish would do better with floating plants, the rasbora would do better with more plants, too. Considered live plants?

Also, I hope you replugged the heater. ;)
Heater is plugged back in!

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess they are in for these two weeks now? And good about the heater.

Fish develop habits. They first had to acclimate to the tank and had to find out how far they can go. When acclimated they stick to the parts that suit their needs most.

I do my planting during waterchange between draining and refilling. I mean planting when the tank is completely filled has the risk of overflowing. But I can relate, if one can't order, this will have to wait. Buying plants is not essential. Look what you have. The higher the fake plants the better. You can also float fake plants without the weights. It looks a bit strange, but the animals won't care. It's just important to give them some cover on all levels. The rasbora usually live in the upper mid, the hatchets on top. These fish in theses levels also need cover. Otherwise they stay together as a school like yours, because there is safety in numbers for them.
Now I have only live plants, the fish are behaving naturally. I also had some fake plants for a time, but for different reasons. Had some fake vallisneria, that actually reached to the surface. All my fish where suddenly much more relaxed as soon as I added those.

If you can order in plants, I guess you can get easy plants that are also cheap and the problem will be solved quite soon.

OP
Betta02

Betta02

Reaction score
So I dug through my plant stash, stole one from my Betta, and came up with this. I used veggie hooks that I use for my Goldies in another tank, pulled the weights off the plants and clipped them in. Not too bad for using what I had on hand. Almost immediately the fish started moving around. Not my plan for aquascaping this tank, but if the fish are happy, I'm happy!

Attachments

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes it's the easy stuff.

@OP: Try and replance the fake plants with live ones one by one and you will see, it gets better and better. Also, sorry for ruining your scape. But honestly, scaping and keeping fish rarely work together in my opinion.

Hugooo said:
I agree with MacZ. Plants are not only good for protection, but live ones are amazing at removing nitrates! You could get stuff like hornwort, marimo moss balls, anubias, java fern, java moss, and almost never have to use ferts!
Thanks, but sorry, I can't agree with the plant choice completely. The moss balls, anubias and java moss give too little cover in such a big tank. They are better for smaller tanks up to 20 gallon. Hornwort and java fern would be nice in this one though. :)

New Threads