Fish Similar To Ghost Knife Fish

1. MelloYello

MelloYello Valued Member Member

I absolutely love the way that black ghost knife fish move and look in the aquarium... However they are really large and I was wondering if anyone knows a fish that looks similarand stays just a bit smaller.
    black-ghost-knife-fish.png
    I have a 46 gallon bow front that is planted. I would like to keep a schooling fish in there with it, however if that is not possible then I will give up the schooling fish for this other similar fish (if it exists) I have a 30 gallon tank that the schooling fish already in there can be moved to.

2. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

Maybe you could try a african knife fish or a baby whale mormyrid.

The african knife fish maxes out at 8 inches in the aquarium, so it may need to be put into a bigger aquarium eventually though.

The baby whale mormyrid maxes out at 6 inches ( at least brienomyrus brachyistius the one I'm referring to) they are quite sensitive fish however and are also quite rare to come by in the hobby.

3. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Thanks!

4. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

You could do a school of glass catfish. They stay much smaller and are completely clear, schooling fish. Their whiskers are so cute!!

5. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Glass catfish are supper cool, I always like seeing them in stores.

6. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I just saw some a few days ago and I sobbed a little cause o don't have the space for them

7. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Relatable

8. G

Gennat New Member Member

What about a chocolate ghost knife fish? They grow to be 8".

9. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Wait really!? Omg thank you so much!