fish sick Question

1. aquarium dunce Member Member

Hi guys and gals.... Merry Christmas a couple of days early! I went to check on the tank today and noticed that one of my male platies does not look the best. He has white fluffy looking stuff over his body. His fins look like they have been nipped a little too. Does not look like ich. I tried to get a picture but he went and hid and I didn't want to stress him too much more. Everybody else in the tank is active and normal looking including my 2 other platies.... even the 4 little platy fry that we have are swimming around being very curious. Any ideas??? Should I try to find him and get him out of the tank??
    I increased the temp of the tank up just in case of ich but when I got home it really does not look like ich in the pictures I have seen.
    Thanks a lot!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

m sorry your baby is sick :(
    do you know what your tank readings are? how do you have platy fry with 2 males? LOL

3. aquarium dunce Member Member

lol woops I have 2 males and 1 female platy I need to check the water parameters quick question... I started using prime for water conditioner can I still use the API test kits??

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

24 hours after adding prime you should have a correct reading ..when did you add it last? and im sure the males are totally fighting for the fem....livebearers should be stocked 1m to 3-4f to have them be happy...can you put him in a breeder net for now?

5. aquarium dunce Member Member

I will try to catch him tomorrow morning. Should I add anything to help reduce his stress??

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

testing the water will help and then we can advise better

7. Camille Member Member

I think your platy has some kind of body fungus. There are two types of fungus. True fungus, your fish has whitish tufts of cotton-like material found on the fin, tail and body at sites of injury. And Body fungus, greyish-white stringy material covering most of the body; white or grey patches. You should go out immediately and buy Mardel Maracyn to treat your fish. The fungus might have developed after being injured by another fish (that would explain the torn fins and body fungus).
    I hope this helps you solve your problem.
    Good luck with you fish!
    -Camille:animal0028:

I just noticed that you have two male platies and only one female... Maybe the other male platy attacked your now sick platy fighting over the female and thats how he developed the fungus and torn fins... BTW you should go out and buy a hospital tank to treat your sick fish, if it's columaris or "Body Fungus" it may be contagious to the other fish.

-Camille:animal0028:

8. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I second what Camille said.

9. aquarium dunce Member Member

this morning I caught him in a breeder container to keep him safe...he does look a little beat up but most of the white stuff is gone.... will try to take a picture of later tonight or tommorrow (I work 7p-7a) My water tests are great... amm 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ph 7.4. Hopefully some time in a protected space will help... he does look a great deal better this morning.