Fish sick and died. How to make sure new fish don't as well?

Tellmeister

Hi,

I have a 60 liters tank that housed 2 Rams 5 Endlers and 2 Otos. A few days ago my female Ram showed HITH and a couple of days after that my male became sick as well (he didn't have any holes in his head though so not sure if he had the same thing). The male passed away today and the female probably only have a couple of days left as well. I treated them against Hexamite but it honestly probably only sped up the males death.

So my question is. How do I clean the tank to make sure future fish doesn't get affected as well.

The tank is cycled and the water in the tank has been stable at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 5 Nitrate. PH is around 6.5 and water temp has been at 28c. The tank is planted.

To add. I had this male Ram for 4 months and before that I had another one in this tank that died with the same symptoms as him. I have Rams in a few more aquariums with no issues so I'm worried that it's something with this tank that messes them up.

MacZ

So my question is. How do I clean the tank to make sure future fish doesn't get affected as well.
You don't do anything. You treated for hexamita so that's done. There is a number of omnipresent pathogens, all of them bacteria. Those are always present, but also only break out in immune compromised fish. You just let the tank run for between 1 and three months, when you have no further problems and no losses whatsoever you can go out and get new fish.

And your best bet is getting future rams not from the standard trade, but from a reputable breeder. If that means shipping: So be it. Rams have been bred in masses for decades now. You have genetic problems, inbreeding, bad health, fishfarms and stores infested with parasites and diseases... I have 12 LFS (big box and local) where I could buy fish, in reach. I buy from exactly one without any second thoughts, from two I would if they had a bargain (even if the fish had something easily treatable) but the rest... no way I buy any fish from these death traps.

And even if the source is good, additional quarantine is not a bad idea.

Besides that: Tailor the tank to the needs of the fish. Perfect water parameters (pH, GH, KH, Temp), perfect water quality, fine sand substrate, high quality food, maybe some vitamins once in a while, fitting tankmates that are neither too boisterous nor active...

All these measures work great if taken seriously and done correctly. Any disinfectant, med overuse or preemptive treatment, overzealous cleaning... that's too much done in the wrong places.

Tellmeister

You don't do anything. You treated for hexamita so that's done. There is a number of omnipresent pathogens, all of them bacteria. Those are always present, but also only break out in immune compromised fish. You just let the tank run for between 1 and three months, when you have no further problems and no losses whatsoever you can go out and get new fish.

And your best bet is getting future rams not from the standard trade, but from a reputable breeder. If that means shipping: So be it. Rams have been bred in masses for decades now. You have genetic problems, inbreeding, bad health, fishfarms and stores infested with parasites and diseases... I have 12 LFS (big box and local) where I could buy fish, in reach. I buy from exactly one without any second thoughts, from two I would if they had a bargain (even if the fish had something easily treatable) but the rest... no way I buy any fish from these death traps.

And even if the source is good, additional quarantine is not a bad idea.

Besides that: Tailor the tank to the needs of the fish. Perfect water parameters (pH, GH, KH, Temp), perfect water quality, fine sand substrate, high quality food, maybe some vitamins once in a while, fitting tankmates that are neither too boisterous nor active...

All these measures work great if taken seriously and done correctly. Any disinfectant, med overuse or preemptive treatment, overzealous cleaning... that's too much done in the wrong places.
Thank you again for an answer.

The first Ram that died and the female should have been breed locally. Second male I very much doubt it, but he looked amazing to I took a shot with him.

I set the tank up specifically for Rams and the parameters should be good for them.

I'll leave it for a month or two to see what happens.

Once again. Thank you so much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
natstory
Replies
Views
Dedife