55 Gallon Tank Fish Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I'm somewhat new to the hobby, and have been researching starting a new 55gallon aquarium for the past several weeks obsessively. I've narrowed down my list to a somewhat large list, but could use some help narrowing it down with what would work together "Best", as well as other possible selections. I'm going to be running dual 50gal filters, with bi-weekly water changes in a planted tank. aqadvisor.com was a lot of help in narrowing down my choices, as well as this site.

I want at least two schools of different kinds of cories, and I just plain think a school of Oto's and at least one school of shrimp are freakin' cool. I want some guppies for sentimental reasons, and I'd like to somehow work in the Indian Glassfish at a (much later) date if possible as well - when I've had more experience with maintaining a low bioload tank, specifically. Plan on doing a TSS cycle w/guppies or white clouds, and introducing fish past that very slowly (On average, a few fish a week at most).

Fancy Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes sp.)
White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes)
Indian Glassfish (Parambassis ranga)
Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)
Sterbai Cory (Corydoras sterbai)
....Other cories...
Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis)
Swordtail (Xiphophorus hellerii)
Red Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Rubbernose/Rubberlip Pleco (Chaetostoma sp. aff. Milesi L187a)
Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.)
Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)

Eliminated:
Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)

Note: I don't want all of these, by no means do I want all of them >< These are just my final list, I'm trying to get some critique/finetuning on it to narrow it down further.

Last edited:

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there, welcome to Fishlore.

What temp were you thinking of making this tank? I think that the WCMM at least are happiest at significantly lower temps than some of your more tropical fish such as the Indian Glassfish, Honey Gourami, Dwarf Gourami, etc. Many cories also like cooler temps (high 60s to mid 70s).

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Where the Greatest Team of All resides ;)
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm not great with stocking, so I can only offer vague suggestions on what I would do if I had a 55 gallon tank to stock. Other members will be along shortly though and give you plenty suggestions

I love cories, they're such little dears, so a large school of them would be fantastic Some people prefer not to mix different species into a school, but I personally don't see anything wrong, cories are such merry little folk I don't think they mind if their friends are albino or have spots or what . I also love my honey gourami, so I am completely biased there. It is just so peaceful and interactive

A basic stocking list I like the look of (it's a little biased, but what can you do ):
a school of 10-12 cories, peppereds are my fave, so probably those
a school of neon tetras, perhaps 10ish
1 honey gourami
5 guppies
small colony of red cherry shrimp

This would just be a starting point, I'm pretty sure you could have more fish than this in a 55. I don't know much about the indian glassfish, is it a catfish with feelers?

Also, I think the white clouds are more coldwater fish compared to the rest of on the list which are more tropical.

I'm sure that a super cool stocking list will be whipped up soon enough

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hm. That seems slightly on the cool side for the Dwarf Gourami, but the other fish I mentioned have wider ranges than I had thought. As well, I had wanted a DG for my tank just a couple weeks back and I was warned away (in a nice way ) from DGs because of the high infection rate of Dwarf Gourami Disease (DGD, also known as iridovirus) in DG populations worldwide. It is a fatal, incurable disease that appears to affect fish sometimes months after they've come home from the shop. I don't know if your research has led you to this particular disease, but if you haven't read about it already, here are is a thread with links you may find informative:
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/24528-dwarf-guorami-bettas-iridovirus.html

Those are my only comments really. Others with more experience will have better advice on compatibility, but it definitely sounds like the beginnings of a lovely setup.

OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Indian Glassfish, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_glassy_fish

I'm a fan of it because a good specimen is -highly- reminiscent of the Mario bonefish.

I was thinking something along the lines of for Cories, say, 6 Peppered Cories, and 6 Sterbai for instance? Two seperate schools?

I've read about them keeping in seperate schools based on their species, and would really like seeing two different schools interact.

(Edit) Oeh, awesome. Thanks for the tip on Dwarf Gourami's - I think they are safely off my list. That is a worry I don't want as a beginning aquarist.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Indian Glassfish, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_glassy_fish

I'm a fan of it because a good specimen is -highly- reminiscent of the Mario bonefish.
Hahahaha, I love it. Nice.

I was thinking something along the lines of for Cories, say, 6 Peppered Cories, and 6 Sterbai for instance? Two seperate schools?

I've read about them keeping in seperate schools based on their species, and would really like seeing two different schools interact.
I think I've heard that basically non-pygmy cories will school together, so the cories may not break as cleanly as you'd think. Not too sure though; all I have myself are sterbai.

(Edit) Oeh, awesome. Thanks for the tip on Dwarf Gourami's - I think they are safely off my list. That is a worry I don't want as a beginning aquarist.
If you were dead set on DGs, you could try to contact a local breeder who might be safe from DGD. If you weren't married to the idea, a Honey Gourami or Thick Lipped Gourami might be just a good a choice and safer from the disease.

OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hahahaha, I love it. Nice.
Yeah, I really like me some Mario Bone Fish. I think it will go perfectly if I get some Ghost Shrimp to compliment them.

I think I've heard that basically non-pygmy cories will school together, so the cories may not break as cleanly as you'd think. Not too sure though; all I have myself are sterbai.
Hmm. I'm going to have to research on this, I definitely want quite a few cories in the tank - if they school together, regardless of species, I see much potential for awesomeness.

If you were dead set on DGs, you could try to contact a local breeder who might be safe from DGD. If you weren't married to the idea, a Honey Gourami or Thick Lipped Gourami might be just a good a choice and safer from the disease.
DG's were an afterthought largely. I'm not even going to bother with Gourami's initially, and if I do eventually get one, I'd only get a Honey Gourami from a well-known breeder. It's not worth risking my tank for a gourami.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I really like me some Mario Bone Fish. I think it will go perfectly if I get some Ghost Shrimp to compliment them.
Just remember -- no squids! They're marine animals.

DG's were an afterthought largely. I'm not even going to bother with Gourami's initially, and if I do eventually get one, I'd only get a Honey Gourami from a well-known breeder. It's not worth risking my tank for a gourami.
Well just to be clear, DGD only affects certain fish, notably DGs and bettas. As far as I know, Honey Gouramis and Pearl Gouramis don't get it, and the rest of your tank shouldn't be in danger of getting wiped out even if you did introduce DGD to it. (Not that that's a good idea...)

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Which plants have you selected for this tank? I'd choose the plants before the fish.

EDIT: Oh, and *applauds* to your research.

Last edited:
OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Which plants have you selected for this tank? I'd choose the plants before the fish.
Ah.

Anubis
Java Fern
Cryptocoryne
Water Sprite
Java Moss
Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
Hydrogrila Difformis (Water Wisteria)
Ludwigia Repens
Riccia Fluitans

are all possibilities based on my research. Locally I've only been able to locate Anubis and Water Wisteria however (LFS is only a PetCo, I'm going to have to order a lot of stuff online ><. I do NOT trust their fish, at least a third of their bettas were floating belly up.)

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds pretty!

I have to go online for plants too, I'm yet to find a problem with it. They arrive in wet newspaper, good condition.

If it was mainly broad leaves and driftwood grafted plants, I'd go mainly corys.
As a grassy, bushy tank it sounds nice for a guppy etcs focus.

Last edited:
OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Based on further research, it looks like I want 2 schools of 6 cories.

Overall "plan:

5-6x Cory Species 1
5-6x Cory Species 2
6x Guppies (2x male, 4x female)
4-6x Ghost Shrimp
8x Neon Tetra
3-5x Oto
4-6x Red Cherry Shrimp
4-6x Amano Shrimp

This puts my stocking level at about 80% as per AqAdvisor.com, and will probably take me several months minimum to get together.

It also leaves room to have a Swordtail or pair of Swordtails, or a Gourami as the tank "centerpiece".

Is there any problems with this selection that I've overlooked? I'd like Glassfish, but they are extremely difficult to find (I have yet to see a pet store that stocks them , online or local).

OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. What I've read indicates a good amount would be 4-6 - what would you personally recommend to see them, Jaysee?

Sammyboi1993

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That Sounds Okay but There are alot of fish that will spend their time at the bottom of the tank, you might want to consider something like a GBR or something like that. Glass catfish are great fish, every local pet shop near me has them for like £1.50, im sure their readily available online though.

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you want a fish that has a glassy-clear transparent look, you could look at glass catfish. I really want some for my similar-sized aquarium, and think they look cool and aren't too hard to take care of. You might want a centerpiece fish, like a pearl gourami or angelfish. I can't really say whether or not your tank would be overstocked, but you might want to lower the numbers so you can account for fry from your livebearers and have to do fewer water changes. I also think cories school together, so you could get fewer. Either way, good luck with your aquarium! It will look beautiful when fully stocked, for sure.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think you should exercise caution when mixing Amano shrimp with cherries and ghost shrimp. Amano shrimp get huge (speaking from personal experience), females at 2 inches and males at 1 1/2. They eat the same food as the smaller shrimp, however, can get pretty aggressive and can be even a larger threat than the fish.

You should get more shrimp, along the lines of 10-20 ghost shrimp and 30 RCS, because they have a very small bioload.

OP
blaen99

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oeh, thanks Elodea.

I never ran across anything like that in my research - definitely changing my planned selection now!

But I can seriously run 10-20 ghost shrimp and 30 RCS in a community tank, in a 55gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.1%

Top Bottom