fish scared of light ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by naomi_l5, Apr 24, 2006.

1. naomi_l5New MemberMember

hiya,

just wondering if u may be able to help, all my fish are fine waters fine, temp etc -part from one of my female black mollies had fry, only recently though over the last 2 days when i go to feed them and turn the light on they all hide under the filter and my catfish go mental and darting around....!!

just wondering if any of u have any idea why they might be doing this ?!?

thank u
    x

2. ShortyValued MemberMember

Do you mean when you first get up in the morning and turn the light on after it has been off at night?

When I come down in the mornings and turn on my tank lights all my fish kinda dart about a bit too - but they soon settle down - I imagine it to be the same as if you were in bed in the dark and someone came and turned the light on you would be a bit shocked - They should be fine though, mine always are and when they know it is time for food they all soon come out again :)

Maybe it is the young ones that aren't too used it yet too - they should soon come to realise that food comes with the light and be less scared :)

3. CraigWell Known MemberMember

my fish do exactly the same when i turn on the light 1st thing in the mornin or even make any quick movements around my tank they all get jumpy but they always calm down again my red male platy at the minute hides alot and underneath the filter hes extremely shy but when i put the food in he always slowloy but surely makes his way up 2 the top of the tank 2 get his food it just took him a while 2 get his confidence at 1st he wouldnt come up at all but hes gradually gettin used 2 me watchin lol

C W

4. ShortyValued MemberMember

It can happen when you add new fish too, we have all been there when we have rushed home from the lfs and accliamtized the fish in the bag, when we have let it out it immeadiatley dissapears :( The one male platy i had took nearly a week to come out and play! It is all natural, the lights can be a bit of shock first thing in the morning, even when I turn my own light on I get cranky :)

I am sure they are just fine, if you are reall really worried can you try a dimmer switch? Gradually turn the lights up in the morning?

5. CraigWell Known MemberMember

lol dont we all especially when my dad comes in durin the winter mornins and turns on my light 2 get me up!! lol :D :D :D i hate that!! i find openin the curtains in my bedroom 2 let daylight in 1st helps then for the fish when turnin the aquarium light on about 10min later, there not as jumpy

C W

6. ShortyValued MemberMember

We'll have to stop meeting like this Craig - people will talk! lol.

I know exactly what you mean though, just think of the fish the same as us :) Gently does it with the lights first thing in the morning, I also turn off my standard white bulb at night and leave the blue light on for about 15 mins before lights out too, saves me plunging the darlings into complete blackness immeadiatley :)

7. CraigWell Known MemberMember

lol ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!! :D :D :D yeah thats a good idea

C W

8. naomi_l5New MemberMember

thats great thanks, didnt think of maybe turning the light down - i'll try that !

x

9. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Naomi, inside a house it may be dark even in the morning, especially when window curtains are blocking the light. When you suddenly turn the tank light on, with the room still poorly illuminated, the fish get scared easily. Perhaps this isn't a great concern, but it may well happen that sudden darting motions of fish may damage their bodies or fins (i.e. when they hit the tank glass or decor). That's why it best to always turn the tank lights on when the room is already brightly illuminated - this way fish don't experience any light shocks. If your room is poorly illuminated even with no curtains blocking the light, turn your room lights on FIRST and wait a couple of minutes. Then turn the tank light on. Gradual increase of lighting is far safer and less stressful for fish.

This doesn't happen in home aquaria a lot, but when a fish is scared enough (such as with a sudden bright light right from a total darkness) it may go into a respiratory shock - all of its body muscles sort of "freeze", including gill muscles, and the fish dies as a result of suffocation (it cannot breathe without using its muscles). This usually happens when wild fish are being transported for a long time in total darkness and then they're suddenly exposed to bright light.

10. mistycheriValued MemberMember

My fish all swim around like crazy when I walk in the room in the morning. They know it's feeding time and act like hungry pigs. When I feed my Beta, (she's in a different tank), she is waiting up top by the feeding slot, for me to drop her food in. I feed her the TetraMin Tropical Crisp's, and she looks so funny swimming around with a whole crisp in her mouth. :) They don't mind the light, cause I always open the curtains first, so they know it's coming. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice