Fish safe pH down products

str8flxn

Hi everyone,

This might be a dumb question, so bare with me. Are all pH down products fish safe? I have an organic pH down that I'm thinking of using on my aquarium.

Some background on my set up.
I have a 20g freshwater tank with tetras, loaches and cories. I also have some live plants. Right now the water coming out of my tap is 7.5-7.8 pH. However when I test the water in the tank it self I'm reading as high as 8.5+.

It's an established tank going for about 5 months. The plants aren't thriving but they are surviving. Fish are fine and active and haven't lost any.

I know its better to have consistent readings than to go about messing with the chemistry. The reason I'm thinking of adjusting the pH is because I'm planning to create an aquaponics set up and I want my plants/herbs to be healthy.

I've got some BlueSky Organics pH Down that I'm currently using for my hydroponic set up and my plants are doing great. I'm just worried if I start using it in aquaponic set up, if it'll hurt the fish.

I'm thinking of slowly making the adjustment on the pH over the next month or so until I get to the desired level.

Let me know your thoughts. Be gentle if I'm way off here. haha

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long message. I figured I better give it some context rather than just ask the question and have everyone bite my head off.

Cheers,

grac3

sounds like your tank would be really happy in a blackwater setup, this means lower pH, but darker waters. you can use almond leaves, alder cones, and all sorts of other botanicals. completely natural and your fish will thank you

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

I'm a huge chaser of pH, so I approve, as long as you've got adequate space to age water w/acid and a very accurate way of measuring pH. In my experience, fish deal with changing pH fairly well, as long as the TDS is steady. Its not the pH that kills, is the osmotic shock.

Upvote 0

str8flxn

sounds like your tank would be really happy in a blackwater setup, this means lower pH, but darker waters. you can use almond leaves, alder cones, and all sorts of other botanicals. completely natural and your fish will thank you
Will it lower my pH enough? I'm reading as high at 9pH sometimes. I've got a massive driftwood in there already that gives me the darker water which I'm ok with. More natural looking if ya ask me!
I'm a huge chaser of pH, so I approve, as long as you've got adequate space to age water w/acid and a very accurate way of measuring pH. In my experience, fish deal with changing pH fairly well, as long as the TDS is steady. Its not the pH that kills, is the osmotic shock.
I appreciate the support! I got one of the digital pH readers that I use for my hydroponic setup. Also its only a 20G tank, so a nice bucket is will do for aging the water.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

Will it lower my pH enough? I'm reading as high at 9pH sometimes. I've got a massive driftwood in there already that gives me the darker water which I'm ok with. More natural looking if ya ask me!
Botanicals are really only going to effect pH when your KH is low, like 2-3dKH or fewer. With higher kH, botanicals are just going to turn your water brown.

Upvote 0

str8flxn

This is what I'm planning to use. Any concerns?

Attachments

• IMG_20210503_221513.jpg
    IMG_20210503_221513.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

RayClem

I saw one review on Amazon that indicated that pH Down was simply expensive citric acid. Any acid, whether organic or inorganic, and be used to reduce pH. Many of the pH reducing products sold for aquarium use is diluted hydrochloric acid. I have also used sodium bisulfate which is the dry acid often used for reducing the pH in pools and spas. However, organic acids such as acetic acid (vinegar) and citric acid will work also.

No matter what means you use to reduce pH, remember that all pH changes should be made gradually. Sudden changes in pH can really mess up the chemical and biological balance in the aquarium. Also remember that you cannot just add the product one time. Every time you do a water change, you need to adjust the pH of your source water to that of your tank. Otherwise, over time the pH will go back up.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • TooManyCrates
  • pH
Replies
Views
Corylover123
  • beagle
  • pH
Replies
Views