Fish Room Upgrades - Betta breeding

e_watson09

We finally moved and got settled into our new home and of course the first thing I want to do is turn the 2 car garage into a fish room! Along with doing that I am going to really work on improving my betta breeding set up.

So here's the plan, I am dedicating a whole shelf to 10g, 20g, and 29g tanks for breeding/growouts. 20g's will be divided for my breeders. So what I am really wanting to look into is how to handle grow outs once they have to be cupped. I am trying to avoid having to do daily water changes on cups. I am debating some 0.75g clear square plastic jugs that I plan to drill and plumb. These will all flow into a sump style filter so they will constantly be getting filtered water. Then water changes I can do 1-2 times a week and do it directly from the sump versus having to water change 100 jars each day, the sump will also house a heater until I get the fish room heated to a point I'm comfortable without heaters. The jars I found have a clear lid so I can grow plants in the lids to help even more with nitrates and them being clear will allow light in.

Obviously this would just be a temporary growing out set up until the babies were sold.

Thoughts? Anyone want to share how they handle their grow outs that would be awesome! I am hoping to help make water changes/filtration as easy as possible so I can make sure the fish have fresh clean water! I could also use this as a way to quarantine fish when I bring in imports, I import bigger numbers relatively often and I could easily change this set up just to do water changes without using the filter portion which will make daily water changes easier for new fish too if I don't have grow outs in them.

BruinAquatics

Everything looks great!

If i were you I would also consider getting a Wild Betta pair like a Betta Mahachai, Imbellis or smargindina (these are all in the Spledens complex. In my expirence these 3 have done really well living in pairs in permanent setups)

Mouthbrooding wild bettas are really cool also such as the Betta Alimbargita. Their extremely cool to observe and lots of mouthbrooding species are on the ICUN red list as either critically endangered or endangered so you would be helping a lot in conservation efforts.

e_watson09

I purchase 2 cases of the jars to try out with some imports I am getting in that need to be quarantined. The imports won't be here until the end of the month jars should be here this weekend. Hoping to plumb them so I can easily do daily water changes during the quarantine process.

Everything looks great!

If i were you I would also consider getting a Wild Betta pair like a Betta Mahachai, Imbellis or smargindina (these are all in the Spledens complex. In my expirence these 3 have done really well living in pairs in permanent setups)

Mouthbrooding wild bettas are really cool also such as the Betta Alimbargita. Their extremely cool to observe and lots of mouthbrooding species are on the ICUN red list as either critically endangered or endangered so you would be helping a lot in conservation efforts.
I really want a wild pair (or multiple down the road) at some point once the fish room is up and going. I know many of them are sensitive to change and chaos around the tank so I'm not sure it'd be the best idea to get them until most of the fishroom is up and running. I do have a tank in my master bedroom (also my office) so down the road I may move this betta out and into the fish room and put a wild pair in our room. I really like Mahachai and Api Api but I'm not 100% set on which type I'll get quite yet

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
akcarroll12
  • Question