Fish Rescues

BenjiBear

I wanted to make this thread because I keep an eye on my local Gumtree ads (UK equivlent of Craigslist i think?) and someone literally 3 miles from me posted up a tank that looks to be exactly the same one as my 37 gallon with a full set up plus fish...fish that include tetras, guppies, mollies which is fine until they hit up the pic of a common pleco so big he looks the width of the tank already **crying intensely**

Some people might know but plecos are my all time faves (dont tell my betta boys...shhh) and my dream would be to be able to comfortably house a common pleco of my own. I would most likely need a pond as im not sure im comfortable with a huge 100g plus tank weight wise etc. So i suppose knowing this poor soul is only 3 miles away hurts a bit. Or a lot.

gotta keep repeating to myself, "setting up a temporary swimming pool is not a good idea nor is it responsible, do not do it" XD forgive me, i wouldnt be so foolish.

I dont want this to just be a random rant tho so I want to hear any happy fishy rescue stories you might have to cheer me up

BigManAquatics

I did see a video on youtube pf some local guys to me that went on 4 or 5 hr drive to rescue about a dozen big fish from a fish rescue place that was shutting down. Included 3 huge plecos, a big pacu, a couple catfish and shark that were pushing 3 ft each and a big ol' dovii.

Upvote 0

BenjiBear

I did see a video on youtube pf some local guys to me that went on 4 or 5 hr drive to rescue about a dozen big fish from a fish rescue place that was shutting down. Included 3 huge plecos, a big pacu, a couple catfish and shark that were pushing 3 ft each and a big ol' dovii.

Thats a lot of big fish! Where did they house them all? :0

Upvote 0

Jo7984

I wanted to make this thread because I keep an eye on my local Gumtree ads (UK equivlent of Craigslist i think?) and someone literally 3 miles from me posted up a tank that looks to be exactly the same one as my 37 gallon with a full set up plus fish...fish that include tetras, guppies, mollies which is fine until they hit up the pic of a common pleco so big he looks the width of the tank already **crying intensely**

Some people might know but plecos are my all time faves (dont tell my betta boys...shhh) and my dream would be to be able to comfortably house a common pleco of my own. I would most likely need a pond as im not sure im comfortable with a huge 100g plus tank weight wise etc. So i suppose knowing this poor soul is only 3 miles away hurts a bit. Or a lot.

gotta keep repeating to myself, "setting up a temporary swimming pool is not a good idea nor is it responsible, do not do it" XD forgive me, i wouldnt be so foolish.

I dont want this to just be a random rant tho so I want to hear any happy fishy rescue stories you might have to cheer me up

I dont have a rescue story but I literally have seen some close to me recently and the tanks looks so overcrowded!

I'm not expert enough to know for sure but the fish didnt seem to have a lot of space ☹

Upvote 0

BenjiBear

I dont have a rescue story but I literally have seen some close to me recently and the tanks looks so overcrowded!

I'm not expert enough to know for sure but the fish didnt seem to have a lot of space ☹

Yeah there seems to be a lot...this one looked as if the seller had maybe just made the mistake of buying a common pleco because they had a few bristlenoses and the big plec was the only thing out of place besides maybe the star wars decorations...not really my cup of tea there

I think if you're seeing the fish dont have enough space its definately not good. To me the tank has to be many times bigger than the fish type thing. It has to look in proportion if you see what i mean

Im going into town today and I'll be so close to the poor guy...must keep repeating that my family will kill me if i set up a paddling pool and bring home a huge fish...

I just can't help but want to rescue eveey poor creature I come across but you need to know you can handle it. Im definately not the only one

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thats a lot of big fish! Where did they house them all? :0
They had these i think the called them stand up ponds.

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

I rescued some African Cichlids from a a local keeper who gave up on them. I moved them into my setups until I felt they were ready for another keeper to enjoy them.

On the way to my LFS (Chain store sadly) with them as I speak!

Upvote 0

Catappa

My favorite fish shop here in Holland has a notice on their website (translating from Dutch): "We have made a clear decision to give honest advice in which the welfare of the animals in their new environment is central. That is why it has also been decided not to not to sell fish nor offer them at fairs that will never fit in an aquarium, such as Red-tailed catfish, Arapaimas and so-called shark catfish."

As long as greedy/mis-informed shops continue to sell inappropriate fish, the sad conditions will continue.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

My favorite fish shop here in Holland has a notice on their website (translating from Dutch): "We have made a clear decision to give honest advice in which the welfare of the animals in their new environment is central. That is why it has also been decided not to not to sell fish nor offer them at fairs that will never fit in an aquarium, such as Red-tailed catfish, Arapaimas and so-called shark catfish."

As long as greedy/mis-informed shops continue to sell inappropriate fish, the sad conditions will continue.
I haven't seen many of these in stores much anymore. And when i do, there is always a "hold for john doe" sign on them, which often suggest a special order most likely placed by someone actually prepared for that fish. Never seen an arapaima in a shop, so i have no clue what area of the world is having brain lapse their.

Upvote 0

Catappa

I haven't seen many of these in stores much anymore. And when i do, there is always a "hold for john doe" sign on them, which often suggest a special order most likely placed by someone actually prepared for that fish. Never seen an arapaima in a shop, so i have no clue what area of the world is having brain lapse their.
I don't know if they're still being sold here in the Netherlands. I did see some about six years ago in very large aquaria in a large, popular fish shop. I was shocked!

Upvote 0

BenjiBear

They had these i think the called them stand up ponds.

So like planters for flowers kinda? I just made a thread about those

I rescued some African Cichlids from a a local keeper who gave up on them. I moved them into my setups until I felt they were ready for another keeper to enjoy them.

On the way to my LFS (Chain store sadly) with them as I speak!

That's awesome! Im glad you could help them and I really hope they can continue to have a wonderful life

I wish all shops were like that :/ thats really cool of them to do that though, absolutely how it should be done!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

So like planters for flowers kinda? I just made a thread about those

That's awesome! Im glad you could help them and I really hope they can continue to have a wonderful life

I wish all shops were like that :/ thats really cool of them to do that though, absolutely how it should be done!
Well, planters that have 1000+ gallons of water in them!

Upvote 0

BenjiBear

Well, planters that have 1000+ gallons of water in them!

Yep! They look pretty neat though! Im hoping to build one on a budget this summer

Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

Ohio Fish Rescue has done a ton of great work rescuing monster fish. The owner, BigRich, is also a wonderful guy with a massive heart. He does all this rescue work while also caring for his wife, who's in a vegetative state of some sort. (I don't remember what exactly.) An incredible guy. This video is him going through the different tanks, it's so darn wholesome.

Upvote 0

yukondog

You could all ways set up the "temp." pond and put it in the 1000 gl. later.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies