Fish refusing to transition from flakes to pellets

hoopyfrood

Sorry if this is long, I am frustrated.

I have 9 lemon tetras and 8 harlequin rasboras. I bought them online, and they came very tiny...barely bigger than fry. I didn't mind, I have enjoyed watching them grow, but I could see when they arrived that they were too small to eat the omega one mini pellets I had bought. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to feed them flakes until they got a little bigger. I had a small jar of tetra tropical flakes that I had bought to use in my fishless cycle and I fed those for about 6 weeks.

About a week ago I decided they were big enough for the pellets. I can see that they fit into their mouths, they are smaller than their eyes, but they are still acting like they are too big. They eat and spit out, and eat and spit out, over and over. Okay, they are too big, so I crush them....same deal. I have tried crushed pellets, I have tried soaked pellets, I have tried crushed, soaked pellets. They are not having it.

At least, the tetras aren't. If I crush the pellets to powder, the rasboras will take it from the surface, but the tetras absolutely refuse to eat from the surface (they ate flakes from the surface just fine). They will only eat soaked food as it sinks...but it sinks so fast, that by the time the dummies have realized food is raining down on them, it is at the bottom. So I give more, then more, in hopes that they will catch something, and before it's over the bottom of the tank looks like it snowed.

Besides being bad for the water quality, I fear this is way overfeeding my mystery snails, who are too busy vacuuming up old fish food to eat the nice fresh veggies I give them.

TLDR my lemon tetras will only eat if they are repeatedly enveloped in clouds of powdered pellet food. Any ideas?

MacZ

2 fast days without any food and they will go for the pellets, actually they will go for anything. Don't crush or soak the pellets, that is just detrimental to the water quality.

Alternatively to get them really take on size: Get frozen baby brine shrimp and frozen cyclops. They will grow like weeds.

Also make sue the dried foods don't contain grains and fish meal. Too much carbohydrates only leads to liver problems and shortens the fishes livespan.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Mac is right, a fasting typically cures such things. And even if that doesn't work, fast again. Like children, they will eat when they hungry enough!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bizaliz3
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views