Fish Rapture?

1. Watermark Member Member

Just checking in to see if everyone's fin child(ren) are ok.....Gemini has just vanished. I've had male bettas jump a bit when getting food, but not completely OUT of the water. Still, there is a small opening in the back next to the filter, so I looked all around his tank, and no formerly acrobatic, now crispy Gemini to be found. I'm perplexed.:;dk He was only a year old. :(

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

:0 So sorry about Gemini. Hopefully, he's just playing a very bad joke on you.

3. Kurty Member Member

yeah! I know the feeling so depressing I once had a Pleco that just vanished never to be seen again.

4. Watermark Member Member

Naughty and forgivable, but doubtful. The tank is moderately planted so I took a turkey baster and blew through all the leaves to see if he had passed, or was ill.....didn't flush him out living or not. Hmmmmmm

5. renthus Well Known Member Member

This has happened to me four times over the last year, with various fish. I ended up eventually finding one of them in a messy heap of java moss, but yeah, somehow fish have the ability to just... vanish.

6. Watermark Member Member

After 30 years of being a fish mommy I can apparently STILL say there is a first time for everything!

7. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

@ watermark
    Is there space in the filter? I had a random week last spring when some Endler boys decided to keep jumping into the filter, which I really would not have thought possible before that as it is a marina slim 20.

@ renthus
    It sounds like you need to aim a video camera at your tank to find out what your fish are up to!

8. FiscCyning Member Member

I'm sorry Gemini is missing. If he did jump out, is it possible another pet got to his body?

9. Watermark Member Member

No, the filter is packed full of media, plus I have a plastic bottle baffle. And the intake tube has a piece of shale inside, so even if Gemini happened to not be feeling swift all of a sudden, he would not be taken up. This is the dag-nabbednessed thing a betta has ever done on my watch!
    FiscCyning no, his tank is in my room where the kitties are allowed in only when I am with them

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Look in places further away from the tank as bettas can jump even out of water, I lost one once & eventually found him a good few feet away under the sofa

11. Wnsanford Initiate Member

Is he stuck to the inside of the lid?

12. Watermark Member Member

Wnsanford, I never have found Gemini. It's maddening, but he is gone without a trace.

13. Wnsanford Initiate Member

I'm sorry. I had a dwarf powder blue guarami do that once. Just poof gone