40 Gallon Tank Fish Project For 4 Yr Old And Daddy

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just set up a timer with Alexa, so light will come on in the morning for 2 1/2 hours off all day then on in the evening for 4 1/2 hours... tank gets zero direct sunlight, but lots of indirect light all day.
That sounds like a pretty good start. After a couple weeks you can increase or decrease as needed. All of my tanks are on for 12-14 hours a day too, but I have critters in all of them that eat pretty much all the algae.

Joyceheatherington

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

My son, for his 4th birthday wanted a fish tank, so my wife and I agreed it would be a great project for him and I. We have no clue what we are doing and probably over stocked our tank. We have 4 Bala Shark, 1- Rainbow Shark, 1-Pictus Catfish, 2- Dwarf Gourami,
7-Tiger Barbs and 3 mystery snails.

Our 4 yr old while being supervised by our 16 yr old dumped an entire container of food into the tank, on Tuesday evening. When I got home, I vacuumed the tank did a 50% water change, another 25% on Friday...we are having difficulty keeping the ammonia down, today the nitrate and nitrite levels were high. I did a water change of 13.5%.

I am using api QuickStart, as instructed by the folks at petsmart.

Thanks for any helpful advice.
Welcome to Fishlore!

MamaLlama76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually try to find an algae fish, some snails or baby fish, something that is happy to eat the algae AND live plants to eat the wonderful nutrients in the tank that is causing the algae bloom...if you use plants to starve out most of the algae it become less of a problem.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey y’all,

Just an update. Tank is doing well.

Clean clear and seems to be on a good routine.
Congratulations. I am happy to hear that all is going well.

One Question, ammonia is zero, Nitrite 0, but nitrate is about 25. Regular water change will keep nitrates lower, or can I add more plants?
I would do both. Regular water changes are very important. They not only reduce nitrates and TDS (muck in the water we can't see) but also replenish necessary minerals. More plants will help keep the nitrates down but water changes are still very important.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey y’all,

Just an update. Tank is doing well.

Clean clear and seems to be on a good routine.

One Question, ammonia is zero, Nitrite 0, but nitrate is about 25. Regular water change will keep nitrates lower, or can I add more plants?
Glad your tank is doing well. I’d do both. In my opinion, the more plants, the better.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I usually try to find an algae fish, some snails or baby fish, something that is happy to eat the algae AND live plants to eat the wonderful nutrients in the tank that is causing the algae bloom...if you use plants to starve out most of the algae it become less of a problem.

I got some Oto over the weekend and within 2 days, they've cleaned off half of the algae in my tank. They are fantastic and aren't as messy as Plecos.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom