Fish Problems, Swimming Erratically

Hello12129

Reaction score
I bought some guppies online and some of them have some disease I couldn't identify. Their fin are kept perpendicular to the body and is not able to move. They swin in a erratic manner and drift on the surface. What is the diesease an how do I cure it?

Attachments

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure you will have time to cure it... A few of my guppies in the past had this and died within the hour. I had a honey gourami with this too but he died the next morning. How long ago did this start up? I'm also wondering what this disease is and why it is so common in guppies

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello12129 said:
I bought some guppies online and some of them have some disease I couldn't identify. Their fin are kept perpendicular to the body and is not able to move. They swin in a erratic manner and drift on the surface. What is the diesease an how do I cure it?
Hello...

Guppies are livebearing fish and I use a little standard aquarium salt in all my tanks with this type of fish. I believe it has some benefits. I use a heaping teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my water change water. This and lots of large, weekly water changes can't harm the fish and most benefit from a little salt. Also, add some organic minced garlic to the fishes' menu. It's high nutrient and very good for the fish.

Old

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it is acting that quickly, and I can visibly see a film on their bodies, I am going to go with columnaris. Which means it is beyond assaulting them with salt and feeding them garlic. (Salt irritates the fish meaning it produces more slime coat to protect them from the irritant; salt.)

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello12129 said:
Hello...

Don't hesitate to add a little salt and the garlic. The salt amount is very minimal and though it may be too late for some, it may not be for others. Don't put medications in the water, this generally doesn't work out very well for the fish. Start up an aggressive water change routine. 50 percent changed out every few days isn't too much. Pathogens and parasites don't tolerate traces of salt in the tank water and pure water conditions.

Old

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom