Fish pooping long white strings?? 2 recently dead. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by whiskers, Mar 17, 2010.

1. w

whiskers New Member Member

I am officially the worst fish keeper ever, this has just been one disaster after another. My tank was started last October and levels have been consistent since December ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. I keep the temp at 80. Last week my 20 gal tank had 3 dal. mollies, 3 platies, 3 guppies and 2 neon tetras. Everything seemed fine until one of the platies (my favorite :( ) had clamped fins and wasn't very active. There were no signs of ich or any other apparent problem but i turned the water temp up to 86 just in case. About 3 days later that platy died and I did notice one white spot (ich?) on her tail. I did a water change and in an effort to save the rest of the tank I added 1 drop/gal IchStop for 3 days per label with carbon filter out. Well the next morning when both neons were dead I realized they could only handle 1/2 drop per gallon. Everyone else seemed fine, but on day 4 one of the guppies died. Again, no sign of ich or any other problems. I did a 40% water change even though parameters had not changed. Its been about 4 days since that guppy died, temp still at 84, but another platy is clamping fins now and some of the mollies seem to be flashing. Also, Ive noticed 3-4 tiny fry in the tank, really not sure who they came from, but if I had to guess it would be the platy who isn't acting sick. Does anyone have ideas for what I should do or what the problem might be? I've lost 2 whole tanks of fish already, plus replaced a leaking tank - I just want to be able to enjoy them! I feel flake food once a day and there is an air bubbler in the tank in addition to the filter. One more thing to mention, sometimes the fish have long white strings hanging out of what I would assume is their butt. The string is slightly thicker than a strand of hair and anywhere from 1 - 5cm. Sometimes they swim around for hours before its gone. What could this be?

Thank you in advance for any help!

2. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Hey whiskers,Did you replace your leaky tank before or after the loss of your fish?The long strands hanging from your fish is fish poop.

3. OP
    OP
    w

Sorry, I know my question sounded stupid, but I'm totally relieved its just poop!! I figured with my fish luck it would be some impossible parasite. I replaced the leaky tank in the beginning of January but used all of the same rock, fish decor, filter and about 10-20% of the original tank water. The platy that died was a pre-January leaky tank fish and the guppy was from February (new tank). Guess I'll just keep the temp up around 84, do freq water changes and hope for the best. I'm afraid to vacuum gravel too much though since those mysterious fry are hiding out there.
    Thanks!!

4. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Hey whiskers there is no such thing as a stupid question.Trust me i have alot of what i think are stupid questions.If you see no white spots on your fish i would slowly bring the tank water down to between 78 and 80 degrees.What i do when i do water changes is i hold a thermometer under running tap water until i can get it as close to the temp in the tank.I put my water conditioner{prime} in th water and dump it into the tank.84 degrees may be to warm for your fish and keeping it constant during water changes maybe less stressful.I have fry in my tank and i am always worried about vaccuming them up but i try to be careful and so far so good. Good luck and happy fish keeping!!

5. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

Was the spot you saw like a grain of salt or was it more like a patch? Columnaris (gram negative bacterial infection) is a quick killer and likes warm water. Or it could have been a fungus.
    Sometimes stringy white poop can be a sign of a problem, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet. It could be internal parasites, constipation, bacterial infection...
    The constipation is easiest to rule out by offering a shelled pea, but the flashing of the mollies has me thinking parasites.

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

+1

7. OP
    OP
    w

The spot I saw looked like a grain of salt, but I only saw one on one fish. I'm working on getting the temp down around 78. As for the white patch, it reminded me that when I took the carbon filter out of the filter before I added the ich meds I noticed some white fuzzy stuff on the lid of the filter but haven't seen anything like it in the actual tank or water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice