Help Fish poop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, all. I have a tank that I'll have had for a month on Friday. There are 3 baby fantail goldfish, each maybe an inch and a half. When I first got them, I used Jungle Tank Buddies Parasite Clear tablets, because one of them was flashing and darting. It seemed to clear up that problem. Well, now the issue is that one of the other fish's poop is always looooong and stringy, and sometimes white. I read that this can be a sign of either an internal parasite or a bacterial infection. Well, I'd already treated for parasites, so I started feeding the Jungle Anti-Bacterial food. It says to use for 5-10 days. We're almost done with the treatment, and his poop is looking even stranger. Today there was a brown piece floating behind him, and it took me a while to realize it was attached because the piece connecting it to him was clear! It was invisible, like a hair. So there was brown, loooong clear piece, then a little more brown coming out that it was attached to. The clear part was literally about 5 inches long. I don't know what to do now, because the anti-bacterial doesn't seem to be helping. I do also have their anti-parasite food (had to use it on my other tank a while ago). Should I start that treatment when this one ends? I'd give it a few days of normal food in between. I'm just asking all this because some say it's bacteria, some say it's a parasite, but at this point I've treated for both, and it's still happening. I've also read it can be constipation, but I'm convinced that's not the problem. It happens regardless of how much or what kind of food he gets ( I feed several varieties), and it only happens to the one fish. Any thoughts?

Edit: Also forgot to mention that although I've only had them for about a month, the other two seem to already be growing a little, and he hasn't at all, which is part of the reason I suspected a parasite.

Last edited:

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My fish have the white/clearish stringy thing on their poop too, but also have the regular fish food color, too. I was going to make a similar post.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd stop with all the medications and try natural things first. Did you check your water parameters before treating the flashing? Fish will do that if there's ammonia in the tank because ammonia irritates their gills. Babies or not, three goldfish in a 30g is way too many so without knowing your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates it's hard to know if the flashing is from high ammonia or an infection.

The long poop is often simple constipation like you said and the treatment is shelled green peas. I feed all my fish green peas every other night. I use frozen and roll them between my hands to break the shell and then I chop them up into tiny pieces. The fish go crazy for them and they'll be pooping in no time. Many fish are omnivores and need some kind of veggie in their diets. Typical fish food is all meat and starch, which would constipate a human so surely it'll constipate a fish.

I'm not sure about this but I would assume that if one fish has an infection or parasite that it would spread to its tankmates.

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, the flashing started the day I got them and stopped like 4 days later. They already had parasites when I got them. The flashing stopped as soon as I used the tablets . The only reason I mentioned it was to say that I already treated for parasites. My ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and I always keep my nitrates under about 15. I use the API liquid test kit. The tank was cycled before I got the fish. I planned to upgrade once I could no longer maintain the parameters. There is no ammonia in the tank whatsoever, and the flashing stopped the day after I put in the parasite tablets. Also forgot to mention that they get vegetables twice a week. I don't know if that's too much or too little, but they don't live off of processed food alone, I feed a variety of 5 different things, including algae wafers, which they love.

*I updated my aquarium info. Sorry, I forgot I hadn't done that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom