Fish Poop, How Much Cleaning Needed?

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank is a bare bottom tank, hence i see fish poop sttled at the bottom daily..which i siphon out. My question is..do we really need to clean the poop? Or is the poop needed for the nitrogen cycle?
I have a canister filter..so once u shake the bottom a bit..it takes care of the poop eventually..thats another way of cleaning it.
Please advise

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SSJ said:
My tank is a bare bottom tank, hence i see fish poop sttled at the bottom daily..which i siphon out. My question is..do we really need to clean the poop? Or is the poop needed for the nitrogen cycle?
I have a canister filter..so once u shake the bottom a bit..it takes care of the poop eventually..thats another way of cleaning it.
Please advise
hi. vacuuming poo is mostly if you don't like the look or need to bring your nitrates down.

your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. so assuming that's still true, this may help:

put simply, your fish poo. that poo breaks down into ammonia which is toxic to fish. imagine breathing your own poo.

one type of bacteria eat the ammonia. those bacteria then poo and create nitrite. nitrite is also very toxic to fish.

a second type of bacteria (nitrobacter) start growing. these guys grow more slowly but they eat nitrite. when nitrobacter poo, they produce nitrate. nitrate is less toxic & perfectly safe for fish until it gets higher than 20-40 ppm. you remove nitrates when you do weekly water changes. most of us keep nitrates below 20ppm.

I hope that makes sense?

the way you test your levels is test kits like the API freshwater master test kit.

here's how to figure out how much water to change once you have nitrates.

Science (math) For The Win!!

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fish poo is organic waste and is not needed in a tank, never. Urea and the respiration of the fish creating ammonia takes care of the nitrogen cycle and you take care of the excess organic waste by a weekly %50 water change. You should ideally be cleaning all poo at every water change.

Poo in the filter is not a good thing. Will create an accumulation of organics. If you can't help the poo going in to the filter then increase your filter cleaning intervals from once a month to once every two weeks.

Happy Fish Keeping

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KeeperOfASilentWorld said:
Fish poo is organic waste and is not needed in a tank, never. Urea and the respiration of the fish creating ammonia takes care of the nitrogen cycle and you take care of the excess organic waste by a weekly %50 water change. You should ideally be cleaning all poo at every water change.

Poo in the filter is not a good thing. Will create an accumulation of organics. If you can't help the poo going in to the filter then increase your filter cleaning intervals from once a month to once every two weeks.

Happy Fish Keeping
Question: how do people clean poop in gravel based tanks? That sounds tough

Jenoli42 said:
hi. vacuuming poo is mostly if you don't like the look or need to bring your nitrates down.

your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. so assuming that's still true, this may help:

put simply, your fish poo. that poo breaks down into ammonia which is toxic to fish. imagine breathing your own poo.

one type of bacteria eat the ammonia. those bacteria then poo and create nitrite. nitrite is also very toxic to fish.

a second type of bacteria (nitrobacter) start growing. these guys grow more slowly but they eat nitrite. when nitrobacter poo, they produce nitrate. nitrate is less toxic & perfectly safe for fish until it gets higher than 20-40 ppm. you remove nitrates when you do weekly water changes. most of us keep nitrates below 20ppm.

I hope that makes sense?

the way you test your levels is test kits like the API freshwater master test kit.

here's how to figure out how much water to change once you have nitrates.

Science (math) For The Win!!
Thanks.. appreciate all the education! One question...is there a nitrite only tester available? I have ammonia tester..and the full kit costs a lot..3000 bucks in my currrency

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SSJ said:
Thanks.. appreciate all the education! One question...is there a nitrite only tester available? I have ammonia tester..and the full kit costs a lot..3000 bucks in my currrency
you'll want both nitrite & nitrate. API sells them separately but normally 2 separate kits cost about as much as the full kit... dunno about that in your country tho sorry

SSJ said:
a gravel vacuum siphon. they're not not expensive

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SSJ said:
Thanks. no other brand has these test kits? Just curious
JBL is the leading manufacturer. Sera, API, Seachem, ADA, Tropic Marin... .. are some others. 3000 bucks sounds like a lab grade ammonia-nitrite test kit. These kits should cost no more than 10 bucks each.

SSJ said:
Gravel - Gravel Vac
Sand - Same as a bare bottom tank
Soil Substrate - Zero to minimal cleaning but usually zero cleaning. The bacterial actions and plants take care of the organic waste. We maybe clean once every year or so.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When i had extra poopy fish i used a small wave makee low in the tank to help push things towards the filter. It upped filter maintance but got away from having to do something every day to the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom