Fish Pond Suggestions?

Regular_fishkeeper

I'm planning to build a minI pond in my front yard and these are the things I need to consider :-
* I have a dog who loves to play in the yard.
* It gets pretty hot in my loacality.
* Need to keep the cost low.

What kind of a pond should I build and how should I satisfy these conditions at the same time.

Advertisement
Would you be into an above ground stock tank pond? I have one of those and I really like it. How big is your dog? Would it be able to jump in if the pond is 3 feet high?

Advertisement
Hes a german shephard I doubt he would jump in though he might play withwthetwater which is fine but at 3 feet high it would be difficult to have a clear view on the fishes? and will I I have any benefit in keeping in ground pond?
I was thinking of it being either 4*4 ftsq

I dug one off of my back patio this summer the size of the pond liner was a 7x10. I bought filters from Amazon the best one I liked was the box one that the pump was inside. The first one was just a smaller with a light on it but it didn't seem to last as long with out getting dirt inside I had to put filter pads around it with rigged wired to help keep the pond dirt out of it. I did buy 4 small gold fish a month later to put in it. They are doing great. It was a days work which I did all by myself. It still needed more stones around it.
pond 1.jpg
pond 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Many subtropical fish, such as Aphanius sp, Apistogramma borellii, and paradise fish, would do quite well in a water garden during the warmer months (50 degree nights or warmer...some aphanius can take colder). If you use a stock tank you could build a lid of hardware cloth and weigh it down with something to keep the dog out...that is what I do.

Also, if you keep the fish stocking low and keep the pond from accumulating a large amount of decaying debris, you could keep a stock tank pond going without ANY aeration or other equipment, with the plants and small water changes doing the filtering work. In that case, a cooler layer will form on the bottom that the fish can take refuge in to avoid the heat. Even without that, though, paradise fish and Aphanius sp can take temps into the low 90's in their stride. Again...this (except for the aphanius, which I have heard from a breeder) is personal experience.

Advertisement
Many subtropical fish, such as Aphanius sp, Apistogramma borellii, and paradise fish, would do quite well in a water garden during the warmer months (50 degree nights or warmer...some aphanius can take colder). If you use a stock tank you could build a lid of hardware cloth and weigh it down with something to keep the dog out...that is what I do.

Also, if you keep the fish stocking low and keep the pond from accumulating a large amount of decaying debris, you could keep a stock tank pond going without ANY aeration or other equipment, with the plants and small water changes doing the filtering work. In that case, a cooler layer will form on the bottom that the fish can take refuge in to avoid the heat. Even without that, though, paradise fish and Aphanius sp can take temps into the low 90's in their stride. Again...this (except for the aphanius, which I have heard from a breeder) is personal experience.
Wow ..thank you very much for your ideas I think il go ahead and do that , plant filtration and regular water changes can be easy here . But I don't have access to the varieties of fish that you have mentioned ..could dwarf/ opaline gouramis and angels work instead?

Wonderful
I dug one off of my back patio this summer the size of the pond liner was a 7x10. I bought filters from Amazon the best one I liked was the box one that the pump was inside. The first one was just a smaller with a light on it but it didn't seem to last as long with out getting dirt inside I had to put filter pads around it with rigged wired to help keep the pond dirt out of it. I did buy 4 small gold fish a month later to put in it. They are doing great. It was a days work which I did all by myself. It still needed more stones around it. View attachment 478396 View attachment 478397
Wonderful pond you got there this is exactly what I was looking for ,does a small fountain pump provide enough circulation and surface agitation for goldfish though ? Have my eyes on a solar fountain pump ...was wondering if it would be enough for gold fishes.

I have been keeping cold water fish in a tank, so I think a good combination would be a sand bottomed pond with banded or Blackbanded sunfish, mosquitofish, and a Hogchoker (google 'hogchoker', they're cute.)

Dwarf/opaline gouramies and angelfish would freeze to death in a water garden in all but the warmest climates (the minimum temp for opalines is 70; the other fish need warmer temps). You can find all the fish I suggested online...shipping fish isn't very hard, you just have to be there (or have someone else be there) not long after they arrive.

I have been keeping cold water fish in a tank, so I think a good combination would be a sand bottomed pond with banded or Blackbanded sunfish, mosquitofish, and a Hogchoker (google 'hogchoker', they're cute.)
Thanks for suggestions but where I live most of the year its its hot .

I
Dwarf/opaline gouramies and angelfish would freeze to death in a water garden in all but the warmest climates (the minimum temp for opalines is 70; the other fish need warmer temps). You can find all the fish I suggested online...shipping fish isn't very hard, you just have to be there (or have someone else be there) not long after they arrive.
Lol ..I'm from tamilnadu state of India and in my place the minimum temperature ( in december ) is 70° shipping of fishes hasnt really caught up in India and we have a conpletely different availability of fishes here so I doubt I can find the above mentioned fish.

Advertisement
AHHHHH...in that case they would work fine. Just be sure the bottom of the water garden doesn't get warmer than 90.

No clue about the goldfish. With your area as warm as it is, I would recommend sticking to tropical water lilies, as hardy ones would find your weather too warm for their liking. Don't know how heat tolerant vals are, but if you can get the bottom of your water garden to not climb much above the low 80's they should be OK. Water lettuce will do fantastic in the heat, as will water hyacinth.

Oh, now I see. India. I Do any fish stores sell pea puffers? That would make an interesting pond. You could call it a "native replication pond"
Yup I have seen them at the weekend pet market we have here..that's a brilliant idea !!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lynxster
  • Question
Replies
Views
bgarthe
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl