Fish playing dead?

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In another post,I mentioned some Green Tiger Barbs that I tried to add to a community tank..I ended up having to give them away because I found them to be still a little too aggressive towards their tank-mates..the subject of this post though,is the strange behavior they exhibited when being netted out of the aquarium..they lose color until they're comfortable again(they turned green again in approx. ten to fifteen minutes when placed in their holding tank) and the minute they are in a net,even before they're removed from an aquarium,they go limp and 'play dead'!..has anyone ever seen another species do this ?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that's pretty common for fish under stress. My smaller fish usually do this when they are taken out of the water.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I haven't noticed any of my fish playing "dead" when netted and, say, transferred to another tank. But what my blue blushing angel does on a regular basis is she can become pale in minutes and then return her coloration equally fast - especially her fins, they can go from black to pale white. Like the angelfish that have stripes - they can make their stripes "disappear"; she does something of the sort with her fins. I find that very interesting. It is not out of stress in her as she does that as she pleases, lol. Plus, she'll have dark fins when the tank light is off, and she'll have light pale fins when the tank light is on. Sometimes she'll show black fins with the light on as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom