Fish Plague Wont Go Away!!!

1. Kody Grieve Member Member

so I've had a tank running for maybe 5 months now, I've got danios and minnows in a tank together with the temperature set at 21 degrees Celsius. My local fish speciality shop breeds the danios in cold water so they are actually able to thrive in this set up before anyone starts ripping into me for fish cruelty. however, my fish are dying and i have no idea why. ammonia and nitrites are both at 0ppm and nitrates around 20 ppm always, tap water is 8.2 but in the tank its around 7.2 (idk dont ask me how)

water is crystal clear, i do weekly water changes of easily more than 20% ( i get carried away when vacuuming) i do seem to have diatoms which havent gone away (but only in places where i cant clean with my magnet scrubber).

1 fish seems to die every couple of weeks. first itll get moody and only stay in 1 place all day long. as a result, it wont eat any food. it gets skinny and dies of malnutrition. some of them got bent spines and sunken bellies but not all. sometimes they just die to spite me. i also have a minnow with a bent spine that is healthy and thriving and has been like this for a few weeks.

right now, there are 2 minnows staying in the same spot all day up by the surface in a corner by the filter. they wont eat even when i basically hit them with the food. tank has just recently been wormed,

fish shop doesnt have a clue.
    i dont have a clue.

are these fish just genetic rejects or am i witnessing the come back of an ancient fish disease that nobody knows about with no specific set of symptoms lol.

please help im over plucking minnows out of the filter grate with my fingers.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Danios are fine up to 18 Celsius so I dont know who will rip you for fish cruelty. I keep a lot of my fish at 21 Celsius no problem. Pics would help. Bent spines remind me of TB while not eating and getting skinny may be caused by internal parasites.

3. PLECO657 Member Member

Sounds like you got a disease running through your tank. I'm not an expert but I would use general cure by API

4. Kody Grieve Member Member

While you say that about the danios, I have been told off by other pet stores for keeping danios with minnows cause danios are tropical and minnows aren't so I was just giving myself cover lol. And I've already been through the tb scare and there haven't been any lesions and if it was tb then the minnow with the bent spine would be dead by now. And as for the parasites, the tank has been wormed so they shouldn't do? Mind you I did see some thread like worms when I disturbed the gravel the other day. Whats the possibility that the praziquantel wormer I used didn't actually work?

And ok I haven't heard of that. I'll try the API general cure stuff

5. Cory & the Catz Member Member

I'm sure you've already thought of this but do you have an airstone? Fish at the top doing nothing sounds like it could be an air issue, however the curved spines and stuff is something i cant diagnose.

6. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

also, try getting your fish stock elsewhere. Sometimes that is the best remedy.
    Good luck

7. Kody Grieve Member Member

I have 2 airlines into the tank I did only have an airstone on one so the big bubbles would cause surface agitation but it stressed me out so I put the airstone back on again lol. I don't think oxygen is the issue but I will be moving the minnows into another tank with a lower temp so the oxygen conc. will be higher.

8. Kody Grieve Member Member

Will do, when I top up my tank I'll be sure to not buy from the mainstream pet store chain anymore

9. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Just because a fish has a bent spine and isn't dead does not mean you aren't dealing with tb. Bent spines and sunken bellies is probably either tb, NTD or a serious parasite - I'm betting on tb as it's very hard to rid a tank of. It wiped out over 20 of my fish and I never once saw a lesion, and some had bent spines for months before death so don't go assuming you have all that figured out. NTD can affect all sorts of fish, not just neons and not just tetras. All highly contagious and will keep spreading until you stop them.

Worms in the substrate could be parasites, or simply the result of overfeeding, too little maintenance and buildup of detritus. Could also just be harmless worms like many people get in their tanks.

Another thing to consider is that if your tap ph is way off from your tank, you are causing a ph swing every time you do a water change. This will stress the fish, weaken their immune systems and make them susceptible to all sorts of nasty things they could normally fight off. Have you tried testing your tap water after letting it gas off overnight to see if the ph drops? You should. It would be wise to figure that out so you're not dumping water of a higher ph in the tank every week.

10. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

I've had my rounds with the exact same problem as you, and considered my tank as a death trap. I was loosing fish every week to the exact same symptoms. Unfortunately, the ones that have stopped eating, their systems are all ready shutting down. There is 2 possiblites you have. Wasting Disease, or Vitamin Deficiencies. Both can impact the entire tank, but my guess it's more a vitamin problem due to some get a crooked spine.

My suggestion is, to pick up some Vita-Chem or some infant multivitamins. Dose the tank (1 drop per gallon) and soak their food in the vitamins as well. Make sure you feed a variety diet, and soak it with the vitamins.

11. Kody Grieve Member Member

Well R.I.P to me then because I seeded the filters of 2 cycling tanks with the gravel of this tank. I will let some water sit overnight and see what happens. If it doesn't drop but it's actually something in the tank, what then? Also with tb the main victims here are minnows but from some research I did a while ago, danios are the ones far more susceptible to tb yet the minnows are falling off their mortal coil much faster than the danios. To be honest I'm just trying to convince myself that it's not tb because if it is then I'll have to sterilise 3 tanks and all their cleaning things like siphons and buckets and whatnot.

12. Kody Grieve Member Member

Thankyou so much for giving me hope it's not tb. I will do just that and vitamin the s*** out of everything I can find. It's reassuring that someone had the same thing, makes me less panicked hahah.

13. Kody Grieve Member Member

Update, the tank they were in started leaking so I moved them to an empty 55g. It looks pretty stupid because there's 14 tiny fish with no gravel in a massive tank in comparison but since I moved them (2 weeks ago) none have died, they're all happy and healthy?? All eating and number hasn't decreased since. Thoughts?

14. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Did you treat with the General cure?

15. Kody Grieve Member Member

I didn't, I couldn't find any in store and didn't order any from an online retailer for the reason of not really being sure what I was dealing with, plus I have snails which general cure is apparently very hard on?