Fish Personalities - Page 2

blennylover2323

ha ha! so funny about your guppy (I know how that feels!) same goes for your betta!!
my funny fish personalities are my clown loaches. I have two of them and they are little tricksters! They love to swim into my filter and rest in there, they think it is there little cave hilarious hint; it's not!! people may think it's funny but not when I have been standing by my tank for hours trying to shoo them out with a meter ruler and then watch them swim back in a few minutes later... NOT FUNNY!!

Ren1920

ha ha! so funny about your guppy (I know how that feels!) same goes for your betta!!
my funny fish personalities are my clown loaches. I have two of them and they are little tricksters! They love to swim into my filter and rest in there, they think it is there little cave hilarious hint; it's not!! people may think it's funny but not when I have been standing by my tank for hours trying to shoo them out with a meter ruler and then watch them swim back in a few minutes later... NOT FUNNY!!
I feel that! The first couple times I resorted to lifting up my volcano to get him out because I was scared he was going to hurt himself. I soon gave up as he’d swim right back in a few hours later! Very frustrating but none the less funny

AcornTheBetta

Oh man a big bad betta scared of java moss, that’s adorable
He's not a big bad betta tho. He literally couldn't hurt a thing. He won't even flare for a mirror.

redmare

My betta thinks he's a cory. He does everything they do... he schools with them, eats off the bottom with them, glass surfs with them...

Sassyskates

I have a guppy who absolutely loves hiding inside my volcano bubbler. He sneaks his way in there through the bubble stream and a few minutes later rides the bubbles up like a little water ride! Absolutely scared me to death the first time he did it as I couldn’t find him for a while then all the sudden shot out of the volcano. What are some of your fishes personalities or quirks?

I just added three gold dojo loaches to my tank and I could not love them more. I named them Yakko, Wakko, and Dot and despite looking very similar, they’re really easy to tell apart. Yakko and Wakko are besties and swim around the tank together. Sometimes Dot will join in. Yakko has a habit of positioning himself on things in a crazy balancing act and will stay there for a while before he just lets himself fall off. I don’t know how he stays up a lot of the time- he’s magic. In both of those pictures I attached of him, he’s not swimming- he’s just balancing there. Wakko is the super-friendly one. He’ll eat out of my hand and swim up and let me pet him if I’m in the tank doing maintenance. He also loves to eat. He’s a little piggie. Dot is the well-behaved one of the bunch. She’s slightly smaller and more golden and a bit more reserved. She doesn’t cause trouble and she’s the only one who uses the loach motel I so painstakingly built for them. They’re such goofballs. I love them.
DFD4539A-2523-4466-89E7-E7EF1286FD36.jpeg
F9CA9397-700B-4DFC-AD6D-76077E87DEBF.jpeg
29F0D21B-686A-4E89-A96F-9ABFF04CAC04.jpeg

Ren1920

He's not a big bad betta tho. He literally couldn't hurt a thing. He won't even flare for a mirror.
I have a female who was supposed to be peaceful who has quite the attitude. I wish I had your problem

My betta thinks he's a cory. He does everything they do... he schools with them, eats off the bottom with them, glass surfs with them...
Awww what a cutie

I just added three gold dojo loaches to my tank and I could not love them more. I named them Yakko, Wakko, and Dot and despite looking very similar, they’re really easy to tell apart. Yakko and Wakko are besties and swim around the tank together. Sometimes Dot will join in. Yakko has a habit of positioning himself on things in a crazy balancing act and will stay there for a while before he just lets himself fall off. I don’t know how he stays up a lot of the time- he’s magic. In both of those pictures I attached of him, he’s not swimming- he’s just balancing there. Wakko is the super-friendly one. He’ll eat out of my hand and swim up and let me pet him if I’m in the tank doing maintenance. He also loves to eat. He’s a little piggie. Dot is the well-behaved one of the bunch. She’s slightly smaller and more golden and a bit more reserved. She doesn’t cause trouble and she’s the only one who uses the loach motel I so painstakingly built for them. They’re such goofballs. I love them.
DFD4539A-2523-4466-89E7-E7EF1286FD36.jpeg
F9CA9397-700B-4DFC-AD6D-76077E87DEBF.jpeg
29F0D21B-686A-4E89-A96F-9ABFF04CAC04.jpeg
It looks like he defies gravity!!! They’re so cute I wish my fish would eat out of my hands aww

Ren1920

He really is!
IMG_5894.JPG
My female betta hatessss other fish I wish her personality was just as sweet and cute

redmare

My female betta hatessss other fish I wish her personality was just as sweet and cute
Honestly I just got so lucky with this dude. He is the most perfect fish, he loves his catfish friends, he's a great eater, he leaves the shrimp alone (EVEN THE BABY SHRIMP), he loves to come visit me when he sees me, he likes to pose for the camera... I love him kind of a ridiculous amount.

Ren1920

Honestly I just got so lucky with this dude. He is the most perfect fish, he loves his catfish friends, he's a great eater, he leaves the shrimp alone (EVEN THE BABY SHRIMP), he loves to come visit me when he sees me, he likes to pose for the camera... I love him kind of a ridiculous amount.
I completely understand why I’d love him the most too ❤️

barbiespoodle

My favorite fish personality of all time was the jack dempsy I had as a teenager, called him Clown. He got so use to me holding the earthworms I dug up for him that anything that touched the surface of his tank was viewed as food. A fact my cat found out the hard way when she decided to dip her paw in the tank to hook him. I heard her screaming, came running to find her running across the room with Clown holding fast to her toe just a flopping away as she ran. Once I got the cat cornered enough to catch her, I pried Clown off her toe, threw him back in the tank and he was no worse for the experience but the cat refused to get near the fish tank after that. He was still fat and sassy several years later when my veterinarian adopted him when I left home and couldn't take him.

Second was a black ghost I raised from a tiny thing to almost a foot long. Herman knew when I put my hand in the tank, came out of his cave and laid across my palm as I feed him his bloodworms. He even seemed to enjoy being petted, refusing to leave my palm until I took my hand out of the tank. Unfortunately I lost him to a heater malfunction. I think I cried over him as much as I do when I lose a dog, he was kind of a wet puppy dog to me.

Pariah

My favorite fish personality of all time was the jack dempsy I had as a teenager, called him Clown. He got so use to me holding the earthworms I dug up for him that anything that touched the surface of his tank was viewed as food. A fact my cat found out the hard way when she decided to dip her paw in the tank to hook him. I heard her screaming, came running to find her running across the room with Clown holding fast to her toe just a flopping away as she ran. Once I got the cat cornered enough to catch her, I pried Clown off her toe, threw him back in the tank and he was no worse for the experience but the cat refused to get near the fish tank after that. He was still fat and sassy several years later when my veterinarian adopted him when I left home and couldn't take him.

Haha! I used to keep oscars back in the day and we had a kitten who figured out how to open the lid. Yup, like your story, our kitten decided to go fishing for 10"+ oscars that were bigger than he was. One of the oscars yanked the kitten in. Seeing that soaking wet cat running across the room at close to the speed of light was probably the funniest thing I had seen in my life up until I had kids. Like your cat, mine never went near the tank again.

barbiespoodle

OMG, that is too funny, I am about laughing myself to death with the image of that kitten going in the tank.

Yea, I know, kind of perverted. I love cats, have cats and they are treated like kings. But I just plain find it funny when they get in over their heads. Even in movies like Shrek when Puss in Boots does the arched back thing kills me. Please don't think I ever harass my cats, I never would, they are my babies, I just find it funny when they get into fixes of their own doing. Their reactions are just so funny.

Aquaticguy

Just a quick question that came to my mind. What fish have a bond with u or like at least are a little bit more smarter and know their owners?

TClare

Most cichlids are very interactive. I am not sure if they actually bond though.

Sofiafish17

Bettas as well. They are like fish puppies.

ALS

+1 on cichlids. The eba and oscars especially. They know for a fact that I'm the "giant food thing". Sometimes when I'm outside smoking I'll look at my ebas through the window, the moment our eyes meet he starts rocketing up and down the side of the tank doing the feed me dance.
Oscars will do most of the same but also "pout" if something upsets them. They lay on the bottom of their tank like they are dying. As soon as you turn away they go back to normal.
I have also seen people with blood red parrots (terrible fish) that like physical touch, you can literally pet a small percentage of them.
Lastly the siamese algae eaters. I feel like most people miss out on how interesting these guys are because they only keep one or two to a tank to deal with bba but if you get 5 or 6 together they are captivating. They will beg for food, school at insane speeds and perch like birds on things. They will sit in a group and look like they are literally chatting up a storm.

Attachments

• 20210921_195220.jpg
    20210921_195220.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 17

Azedenkae

+1 on cichlids. Especially when they are kept alone or in pairs.

BlackOsprey

All pufferfish are highly observant of their environments and quickly associate their owner with food.

TClare

+1 on cichlids. The eba and oscars especially. They know for a fact that I'm the "giant food thing". Sometimes when I'm outside smoking I'll look at my ebas through the window, the moment our eyes meet he starts rocketing up and down the side of the tank doing the feed me dance.
Oscars will do most of the same but also "pout" if something upsets them. They lay on the bottom of their tank like they are dying. As soon as you turn away they go back to normal.
I have also seen people with blood red parrots (terrible fish) that like physical touch, you can literally pet a small percentage of them.
Lastly the siamese algae eaters. I feel like most people miss out on how interesting these guys are because they only keep one or two to a tank to deal with bba but if you get 5 or 6 together they are captivating. They will beg for food, school at insane speeds and perch like birds on things. They will sit in a group and look like they are literally chatting up a storm.
I can relate to what you say about your cichlids. My festivums are just like your EBAs, the angelfish and Laetacara too, though perhaps a slightly less, the Apistos not so much…and my Cichlasoma male sounds like your oscar. He has been sulking or scared ever since I moved his tank, he now only comes out of hiding when he thinks I am not looking.

ruud

Humans project their humaness on the fish they keep. You feel engaged with your fish, so the fish must also be engaged with you. Nothing wrong with that.

Fish are also conditioned in the classical and operant sense to the situation they live in. This too makes them a bit human (from an anthropomorphic perspective).

Bwood22

Humans project their humaness on the fish they keep. You feel engaged with your fish, so the fish must also be engaged with you. Nothing wrong with that.

Fish are also conditioned in the classical and operant sense to the situation they live in. This too makes them a bit human (from an anthropomorphic perspective).
Here's what I have observed.

Anybody can walk through my front door and my fish think its no big deal. Maybe 3 or 4 of them will scope out the situation.

But when I walk through the door...I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 15 Haps & Peacocks in my face every day.

But with all of this love and attention that I receive from everyone when I get home.....it's my wife who is still over there on the couch.

Go figure.

Aquaticguy

Thanks for all the replies. I did not expect this much info lol. But do you think any types of schooling fish or livebearers, y know kinda have more personalities. Because I know when my guppies are hungry they will literally follow my finger on the tank wall. Same with Neons.

GlennO

Thanks for all the replies. I did not expect this much info lol. But do you think any types of schooling fish or livebearers, y know kinda have more personalities. Because I know when my guppies are hungry they will literally follow my finger on the tank wall. Same with Neons.
I think what you are describing are fish that are not shy or timid rather than any 'personality' aspect. Guppies certainly fit that category. My endlers are so curious that I have to be careful not to suck them out when doing a water change. They will investigate anything that goes in the tank. Barbs, in general, are also quite boisterous.

Aquaticguy

I saw very active barbs in the pet store. I also love endlers behaviour but right not I don't have any more tanks for them. ;//

qldmick

You reminded me of the clip I found a while back.

BristlenoseCatfish

All fish know their owners up to a certain extent, but a fish not mentioned here is the Gourami, my Gourami hides for all other humans but not for me.

DuaneV

All the Oscars Ive ever had were like puppies. Smartest, most interacting fish I have found.

Aquaticguy

You reminded me of the clip I found a while back.
Ah yes. I think I saw that video too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
ClearEyes
20 Gallon Tank New to fish lore