Fish Personalities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian Adams, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Brian Adams

Brian Adams Valued Member Member

Hi there!

So it's been almost 20 years since I was last in the hobby. Back then the responsibilities involved were annoying, but now they are a pleasure. Funny how that happens :)

Another thing I have noticed are the incredible personalities of my fish that I had never seen before. Specifically my Juvenile Angelfish, and Cory Cats.
    It began with the Corydoras. I bought one Sterbai unaware of their fondness to have other Corys around. He was purchased for utilitarian reasons. He was going to be my beautiful custodial engineer. I introduced him to his new home, and didn't give it much thought. Though it was quickly apparent that Andi was the life of the party! She was playful, active, and every tankmate got along... eh hem... swimmingly with her. This lead me to further research about Corys, and I found what most of y'all know, which is they like to be in groups of 3 or more. Sterbai were out of season, and difficult to find, so I substituted Julli Cats. After their QT I transfered them to Andi's tank. They bonded IMMEDIATELY! It was as if they were long lost family! We couldn't stop watching them carry on. Just so beautiful.

A couple months later I started building my 55 gallon. I bought 2 Brazillian Wild Blue Glitter Angelfish from Angelmania.net. I received them less than a week ago, and I can't be happier with them! When I'm aquascaping, or cleaning the tank they come right up to my arm and swim around unafraid. As if they're just amused by this huge pink animal. I turn on the light when I wake up, and see them sleeping at the bottom with their eyes closed. I didn't even know they could close their eyes! I have 2 cats (As in feline, not catfish), which is how I came back to the hobby. I gave them a 5 gallon tank with 3 fish to watch for Christmas. That was nice, but the 55 gallon? They will sit for 2 hours straight just gazing at the bubbles and fish doing their things. They're good cats that mostly just watch. They sometimes sit up with their feet on the glass, but the fish are never scared. My Angels, however, actually interact with my cats! They swim up to the glass where they sit gazing. My male cat has put his paw up to touch the glass next to them, and the Angels get even closer to inspect his paw!
    These little guys enjoy watching my Cherry Barbs chase each other around, and seem to cheer on my Corys as they play in the wall of bubbles in the back corner.

Now I know I'm projecting human traits on my fish, but regardless this is the first time I have opened my eyes to this world of Pisces personality. It's a really cool thing to see. So I'm wondering what you all have experienced. What fish have given you as much as you have given them? Was there a particular fish that will always swim within your heart? Please tell me! I'm pretty stoked to have found this side of our hobby!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

My cats were also one of the reasons I got back into the hobby! Our new kitten harasses our beloved old cat a lot, so we figured some fish would help redirect her focus, and give our arthritic old girl something to entertain her without requiring her to move a lot.

I feel the same way about the responsibilities, too. Back in my teens with my first tank, I used to avoid water changes like the plague. Twenty years later, they're an excuse to get some downtime and hang out with my fish for an hour. I think it helps that my gravel siphon has a hand pump nowadays, and I don't have to deal with undergravel filters...

I absolutely love all my fish! I got gold barbs for their bright colors, and fell in love with their playfulness. My rainbows are psycho, and think they are the biggest fish in the tank with their bravado, rather than the smallest. My swordtails will come nibble on my hands when I'm messing in the tank. My guianacaras are my favorite right now, though. They surf in the current of my powerhead, drag leaves and debris around looking for food leftovers in the sand, and dig little pits for no apparent reason (and get dirt everywhere--I have a planted tank--but I still love them). They've finally gotten brave enough to start begging me for food. Their colors sort of "camouflage" in an instant if they are startled, but they're bright white and black when happy, so it's easy for me to read their moods. I don't remember ever noticing this stuff in my fish when I was younger. But I had smaller tanks, and I'm sure I didn't keep things in proper schools (hard to remember 20 years back...) so I probably didn't see the natural behaviors I notice now.

3. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

I love Bettas. I always did have a fasicination with them since I was little. I remember long time ago the first betta I managed to care for was a female half moon betta that I dubbed lipstick. Because her mouth was red. I remember this fish specifically because it was the first animal I learned to care for. I don't remove references much about this fish other than she introduced me to this hobby.
    Let me tell you about my bettas:
    Killer
    Last summer I was getting the blues, I hadn't owned a betta in a very long time, so I snuck a female betta on the porch in a bowl. Eventually my mom did find out about her. But that's not important. This fish amazed me she would come up right to me. And she let me handle her of water. Once there was a summer storm and the porch(which is about 10 get high) got drowned in water. I come home to find an over flooded bowl. No betta inside. I look down and she was lying on the concrete. She must of been laying there for an hour or so before I came home. I fear the worst and put her back in. A week later she completely recovered. She earned her name same because of her tendencies. She only ate live insects. And would kill and eat moths her size. I was also trying to Breed her with a male, she was to big for him, K
    and almost killed him, sadly killer died of a cold snap which leads me to my next and favorite betta
    Killah
    I orgingally bought this fish to breed with my male betta sine the previous female was too large. I go to the pet store and the only female they had was this brown ugly female with no trace of Color. When I put her in with the male fish her colors went from brown and hues of gray To dark navy Red and black. Amazing! Their spawn was a success but no fry hatched, Killer and Killah together for sometime. I had to bring them in due to the cold weather,
    killer being more aggressive was forced to go into a breeding box due to her aggressive tendencies. Killah got the tank. There she met A bristle nose pleco and a corydoras, her name is the opposite of her personality, she loved pellets like any other fish, but what amazed me about her Ian that she and the Corydoras and pleco would all share one alage wafer. She was a vegaterian! She ate cucumbers, broccoli, peas! Never have met a betta with a knack for veggies. She would come up to my hand And lay in it when I put it in the tank. She craved human attention. She had the most papmered life. Eating raw fish, larvaes of all kids, veggies, and wafers. The only bad thing she did was kill a neon tetra because they were new. Other than that she and the corydoras were good friends, they hang around each other and eat together. Cories are truly the most friendly fish out there. She sadly died due to a faulty heater.
    Undeceided.
    After the death of Killah. I purchased two young new females. One died of dropsy. But the other prospered. She is fully grown now. I purchased her in February. She is a friendly and always fat fish. I enjoy watching her, she still has yet to comepletly warm
    Up with me. But now that all
    The good bugs are popping up now that it's spring she's sure to
    Come around soon. For now she likes with "earth worm tug of war" with my finger. Still cant find a name for
    Her.She's also in the tank with another red female veil tail But she is new and has yet to fully open up.
    Fish are great aren't they?

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I love watching fish behavior. We all start out projecting a bit of human onto our fish. Then, we begin to see fish as fish, which is fascinating as can be. After that, we hit my stage, which is where I see fish behavior in humans.

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I love all my fish. My first betta, Arizona, is a laid back guy, and a bit of a problem child. He's clumsy and has suffered an eye injury and fin injury back to back. But is healing up great. He spent a few weeks with a few neons until I learned they weren't good together (the neons were not doing well in his warm water). He now has a nerite and mystery snail as tank mates. I've caught him sleeping on the snails slice of zucchini.
    My next betta is a crown tail who is feisty! He flares at himself all the time, and me if I make him mad. He is always fed in the same spot, and he hangs out there all day. Stares me down if I'm not feeding him. He had 2 horned nerite buddies, but murdered one the first night. He does leave the other one alone now. I think he might have gotten poked...
    I now have started a community tank, and have added a juvie blue smokey angelfish and 9 juvie corydoras. As well as 2 nerites and 4 mystery snails.
    The angel is a mess! I thought he would be shy for a while, but he started coming up to the glass (well, plastic) in his acclimation tub, and now follows me across the front glass of the tank. Nibbles my fingers while I'm replanting the plants the cories and snails dig up, and swims right beside my arm. He's also a...uhum... bit of a glutton. He is being fasted right now because he gorged himself on the cories food last night. I woke up to one fat angel! He has already gone down quite a bit, and luckily I don't think he will have any lingering effects. I have learned however not to feed the cories so much, as feeding them after lights out will not keep him from eating it all! He also bosses the cories around and terrorizes the snails!
    The cories are hilarious! My sister says they're on crack! They are everywhere, and always at 100 mph. One loves to play in the bubbles, and they are just super cute. Always everywhere. They are still quite shy though.
    The nerites are normal, one stays camouflaged on my driftwood. His name is thunder since you never see him. The other is lightning, since I brought them home in one heck of a thunderstorm!
    The mystery snails are fascinating! They crawl all over everything, especially each other. And they are terrorizing my plants. They don't eat them, just knock them out of the substrate and trim my jungle val!
    My husband thinks I'm weird cuz I sit in front of the tank and just watch. But why would I go through all this work and money if I didn't want to watch them?

6. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

Very cool. I have been planning my first Betta tank for the past few days. I will have 2 stacked 10 gallons, with the top being the Betta tank. I have always found, as most people do I think, that Bettas are incredibly beautiful. Myself, I've always been good at animal care, but the only plants I've been good at raising have been food plants. Aquarium plants have been an issue. Which is where the Betta comes in. I plan to use the Betta tank as my reintroduction to plants. Being that I have low O2 level tolerances with Betta fish in case I screw up that balance. I'm pretty excited about it, and might just pm you a question regarding their care.

Thanks for sharing!!!

7. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

How has the aquarium life been for your cats? I'm sure the kittens love it... for the few second of attention they can give to it ha ha. How about the older lady?

The Guianacara was a new one for me! Gorgeous! You can see the Cichlid in them, and they look very much like a Blood Parrot in the face. And they change color with stimuli too?! How big are they? They sound amazing!

8. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Your welcome :D if you have questions please do ask

9. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

Ha ha ha! I love it! I'm not at that level yet, but now I'm going to have to imagine my coworkers swimming around my shop!

10. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I've had plenty of bettas over the years. My current one amazes me the most, as he constantly rips his thermometer off the wall, takes fake plants out of the gravel except for the one he naps in. I've also had a school of Colombian tetras for about two years now. They organize themselves in a pecking order and swim amazes me. As they've gotten older, a few have died and have been seamlessly replaced by new tetras who act the same way. I've even see them mourn the death of one of their friends. Amazing what these little creatures can do.

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I think goldfish personalities are great. They are just jumpy and all that but than again I think any fish is like that when you hold their food in front of them.

12. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

The kitten (well, young cat now) occasionally tries to climb in when I'm doing tank maintenance... I'm waiting for her to actually figure it out one day... not gonna lie, I'd laugh pretty hard :hilarious: The older girl spends a lot of time sitting in windows nowadays, so if she's in the one in the family room, she's watching the fish.

I have guianacara owroewefi (there are several species). They're a mid-sized cichlid, just a little bigger than a ram or keyhole. Supposedly they get to 4-6" (males bigger than females). I've only had mine for a month and a half, they're only 1.5-2" right now. They sift sand the same way as eartheaters, to which they are closely related. I had originally wanted geophagus, which need more room than a 55, and I went with these because they were similar but smaller. Now I wouldn't trade them if I had a bigger tank! They have so much personality! :D

13. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

I feel like we have the same perspective when looking through the aquarium glass. I had Zebra Nerites that fascinated me. I love the Smokey Blues! They are incredibly beautiful! In fact, I believe mine are a cross of that breed... I'll have to check that out. But yeah I thought mine were going to be super shy. One actually is. I call that one Blinky because of the expressive eyes. The other is Inky due to his dominant markings. Particularly the large black spot on his left side.
    My Corys crack me up! They... mostly Andi, but all will swim into the large bubble wall and let it blow them all the way to the surface. Then they regain their balance, and swim down through the bubbles! It's just too cute! They're having a blast, and it's so fun to watch. Besides that I love watching them scavenge the sand for food.
    I love the names you picked for yours. Have you planned to introduce more Corys for them to play with? More Angels in your future?

14. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

I feel like we have the same perspective when looking through the aquarium glass. I had Zebra Nerites that fascinated me. I love the Smokey Blues! They are incredibly beautiful! In fact, I believe mine are a cross of that breed... I'll have to check that out. But yeah I thought mine were going to be super shy. One actually is. I call that one Blinky because of the expressive eyes. The other is Inky due to his dominant markings. Particularly the large black spot on his left side.
    My Corys crack me up! They... mostly Andi, but all will swim into the large bubble wall and let it blow them all the way to the surface. Then they regain their balance, and swim down through the bubbles! It's just too cute! They're having a blast, and it's so fun to watch. Besides that I love watching them scavenge the sand for food.
    I love the names you picked for yours. Have you planned to introduce more Corys for them to play with? More Angels in your future?

15. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

That interests me fo sho! I love the "government" that some animals put in place. And fish mourning the death of another? How crazy is that? Very cool!

16. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

It was cool. They circled the body as I got the net. I took the dead one out and they barely moved from the circle for most of the day. Lost their colors, too. Kind of moving to know that they can show the same level of compassion and sadness as us.

17. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

I mentioned a 2 stacked 10 gallons earlier. The top tank will be a Betta, but I thought about a goldfish for the lower. I haven't done the research, but I think it's too small for the goldfish I like. But while they are often looked down upon by many in the hobby, I think they are amazing. I mean, there are so many that will actually swim INTO your hand!!! Plus you can hand feed them, and they are so interactive with their surroundings. I mos def plan to have a goldfish tank in my future! Thanks for sharing!

18. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

How aggressive are they? Do you need to keep them in their own tank?
    Also I'm glad your cats enjoy the tank. The young one probably enjoys anything and everything, but the older girl... It's a beautiful thing when you can introduce something new to them. Something they enjoy. Mine are starting to inch their way to being older. One is 11 and the other I'm unsure, but think is 9 or 10. A little over mid-life. I'm incredibly preoccupied with their quality of life. After all, they've improved mine beyond measure.

19. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

I will for sure! The tank I plan to use is being occupied by a pleco for QT at the moment. In 2 weeks the tank begins! Please be on the look out for my questions! :)

20. OP
    OP
    Brian Adams

Amazing perspective as I head to bed. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice