Fish Pellets..

  • Thread starter

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Messages
302
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
1 year
This is for future reference.. How can I get my baby Firemouths to accept pellets? I tried feeding the parents the pellets and they never accepted it so I was always forced to feed them flakes..
 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,688
Reaction score
115
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
the way i got my betta to eat flakes (he only liked his low quality pellets lol) was i only gave him the flakes. it took a few days, but pretty soon he got so hungry he didnt care what i fed him, he would eat it. now he eats the flakes and his pellets, and whatever else i give him lol
 
  • Thread starter

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Messages
302
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
1 year
Hmm.. So could I not feed them for 2 days and put the pellets in?
 

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
32
Points
143
Experience
Just started
Just curious why you want them to eat pellets and not flakes. I don't know anything about FMs, so maybe I'm missing something.

-Lisa
 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,688
Reaction score
115
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
Hmm.. So could I not feed them for 2 days and put the pellets in?
you could try that, or you could just give them the pellets right off. its really up to the fish if they wunna try new things or not. also, you could try to ween them off the flakes by making the pellets their 1st meal of the day (when they are the most hungry) and then giving them just a little bit of flakes later on (of you feed more then once a day), and maybe mix a few pellets in there with them. its really up to the fish how you get them started on pellets. like i said, my betta was a brat about eating flakes, but my new betta eats anything, and i've only had him since monday.
 

btate617

Well Known Member
Messages
3,432
Reaction score
77
Points
218
Experience
More than 10 years
Haven't your FM's spawned?
If they are mature the easiest way would be to not feed them for 2 days then try the pellets. If they don't eat then, clean out the uneaten food and try again the next day. With a mature C/A they can go a few weeks without eating so I wouldn't worry.
FWIW my Centrals eat 3 times max a week.


Brian
 
  • Thread starter

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Messages
302
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
1 year
Well the parents never eat the pellets. I tried feeding the fry pellets and they just spit it out, but I was wondering when they get bigger and they won't take to it and I don't feed them for a few days, will this affect their growth?
 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,688
Reaction score
115
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
Well the parents never eat the pellets. I tried feeding the fry pellets and they just spit it out, but I was wondering when they get bigger and they won't take to it and I don't feed them for a few days, will this affect their growth?
i don't think it would, as long as you feed them well when they do accept the pellets
 
  • Thread starter

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Messages
302
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
1 year
Alrighty. Now I have to fight the urge to feed the little guy.
 

btate617

Well Known Member
Messages
3,432
Reaction score
77
Points
218
Experience
More than 10 years
It won't effect them at all. If it takes 4 or 5 days again I wouldn't worry. I don't think I would go a week with smaller tropicals, but with cichlids I wouldn't give it a second thought.

When I moved my Frontosa's from one tank to a bigger one when the group was around 4-6" the smaller ones took about 3 weeks to start eating again and two of the bigger ones took 5 weeks. Like I said I wouldn't worry about it too much. And not just that group, it isn't that uncommon, especially with a new food, for cichlids to throw a fit and not eat. Trust me eventually they will eat what you are offering, with no effect to them. One thing I would suggest don't get nervous and think you better feed flakes, they will fill up and hold out waiting for you to do it again.


Brian
 
  • Thread starter

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Messages
302
Reaction score
1
Points
103
Experience
1 year
btate617 said:
It won't effect them at all. If it takes 4 or 5 days again I wouldn't worry. I don't think I would go a week with smaller tropicals, but with cichlids I wouldn't give it a second thought.

When I moved my Frontosa's from one tank to a bigger one when the group was around 4-6" the smaller ones took about 3 weeks to start eating again and two of the bigger ones took 5 weeks. Like I said I wouldn't worry about it too much. And not just that group, it isn't that uncommon, especially with a new food, for cichlids to throw a fit and not eat. Trust me eventually they will eat what you are offering, with no effect to them. One thing I would suggest don't get nervous and think you better feed flakes, they will fill up and hold out waiting for you to do it again.


Brian
Ok thanks for the info!
 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Messages
15,688
Reaction score
115
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
Alrighty. Now I have to fight the urge to feed the little guy.
that's always the hardest part! i hate it so much! i have top resist the urge every time i look at my new betta, Plutto >.< he's always hungry! XD
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom