Fish Pellets

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Wintersprite, Jul 27, 2015.

1. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Hello all, I am currently feeding my betta and harlequin rasboras omega one super color flakes and a weekly pea. I would like to add pellets to their diet and was wondering what brand or brands are good pellets to buy? I am trying to find a good brand that is available at petco/petsmart or carried at most lfs. Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I would recommend New Life Spectrum Pellets. I use the Thera A+ and my fish love them. I would also suggest on picking up some frozen foods like brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

This is what I would use and have been using for the past couple months till I run out.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438048379.218196.jpg

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I second the NLS Thera A+. Just started feeding them this past week and the fish go crazy. :)

5. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Ditto on the NLS Thera A+. I use those as well as the Omega One flakes. And Omega One shrimp pellets for my corys. And Omega One frozen brine shrimp as a twice weekly treat.

6. AquaticBrandon

Same lol. I basically feed all my types of fish Omega One.

7. OP
    OP
    W

Thank you guys. I will look into the nls Thera a+ pellets since it sounds like it is highly recommended. Do you know if it is available in stores at all because I do not think I have seen the nls brand before. I would like to try and get the pellets in store over online because if my fish do not like the pellets it is easier to return and get something else. I would hate to order the pellets online and then lose money if my fish do not like them.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You'd have to check individual LFS's around you as I have never seen them being sold at big box chains like Petco or Petsmart but I have seen them in various mom and pop fish stores around here.

9. AquaticBrandon

I haven't seen New Life Spectrum at petsmart, but I have seen it at Petco including other types of NLS. My LFS carries new life spectrum.

10. Geoff

I've seen NLS at Petco.

11. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Petsmart has Aqueon Betta pellets & Omega One Betta pellets, both brands are fine for Bettas & Rasboras. I also agree that some frozen food would be a welcome addition to the menu, both petsmart & petco have a frozen food section. I used to see NLS at Petco but haven't seen it in years.

12. OP
    OP
    W

Thank you guys for the information I will check petco out the next time I go there. If petco does not carry it hopefully I will get lucky and my LFS will carry it.

Et tu, thank you for the suggestion on the betta pellets. I had though about getting the omega one betta pellets, but was not sure if my harlequin rasboras could eat those as well being that the pellets were specialized for bettas. If I can not find the NLS thera a+ pellets in store I will try out the omega one betta pellets.

The next time I go to petsmart I plan on picking up some frozen food. I am just not sure if I should get the omega one frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. Anyone have a thought on which one I should get for my betta and harlequins?

13. Geoff

There's always Amazon.

ETA: I'd go with frozen brine shrimp. That's what I use.

14. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I feel that the blood worms go through the freezing process better so have more food value.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  15. AquaticBrandon

I would get both, my fish love them

16. OP
    OP
    W

Do you guys know what the difference is between the regular NLS pellets and the NLS Thera a+ pellets? Also would the .5mm or the 1mm pellets be better for my betta and harlequins?

17. AquaticBrandon

I believe the Thera A+ has garlic. I would get the .5mm. I have the 1mm and my harlequins have a little trouble eating them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice