Fish Parasites

calebringabell

Reaction score
Fish parasites just not dying?

I’ve have had platys that got parasites in them I believe because they have clamped fins and swim erratically and have convulsing behavior. I have tested water parameters and they’re fine. One fish has had wasting away symptoms but is doing better. I’m not treating two that are swimming convulsingly and just are weird acting and have white string poo.

I have done general cure multiple times, methylene blue multiple times, salt+heat even and they still are acting like this.

I don’t know what to do at this point other than a dip (which I have no idea what to do for a dip) or to just knock them out of their misery.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. I would like to use up general cure or methylene blue if I could. I don’t want to bother buying more medicine for two little platys as times are rough right now, hope you could understand.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
The parasites aren’t dying because you're not treating them with anything that will kill internal parasites.
If you have some General cure left some people use that to medicate the fish food with that or Paraguard. There are some recipes online or on fishlore.

OP
C

calebringabell

Reaction score
I have medicated their fish food with general cure before

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you’re sure that it’s internal parasites you could try PraziPro or similar. The concentration of Praziquantel is quite a bit higher than what is contained in General Cure and might be more effective. The last time I used General Cure I added some extra Praziquantel to it.

OP
C

calebringabell

Reaction score
GlennO said:
If you’re sure that it’s internal parasites you could try PraziPro or similar. The concentration of Praziquantel is quite a bit higher than what is contained in General Cure and might be more effective. The last time I used General Cure I added some extra Praziquantel to it.
I made a medicated recipe and will feed over five days. Should I medicate the water again? I don’t think I should since they were just medicated

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends what you're medicating with. Prazi is very fish and biofilter safe and shouldn't stress them.

OP
C

calebringabell

Reaction score
GlennO said:
Depends what you're medicating with. Prazi is very fish and biofilter safe and shouldn't stress them.
I medicating with general cure food recipe and was wondering if another general cure water treatment

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
calebringabell said:
I medicating with general cure food recipe and was wondering if another general cure water treatment
Ok well I'm not certain. I don't think that there would be an issue with the Praziquantel content but I am less sure about repeated exposure to Metronidazole. You might want to research that a bit.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I prefer PP. it’s good stuff. A water treatment will do nothing if it’s internal parasites.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom