fish pair

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is there a type of fish that can be kept in pairs that is relatively easy to take care of and grows about three or four inches?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going to say dwarf gouramis - male and female of course.....or some yellow panchax killifish.....Surface dwellers though, but very cool fish and very peaceful.

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Will dwarf gouramis get along with my blue gourami? Cuz I had orginally bought two of them and had to take one back cuz they kept chasing each other. What are yellow panchax killfish? And any specific cichlid that you could suggest? Thanks.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, the only ones that come to mind for Cichlids are Kribs or Rams...do some research and you'll find some more.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gouramis are in the same family as Bettas and are rated as semi-aggressive. This would mean that you would use them in a community aquarium with caution. Most of the really peaceful fish that I know of are shoaling fish that travel in schools and there is probably a reason for this. Safety in numbers against those very more aggressive fish that do have the abiliy to live a thrive in pairs.

I spent some time looking in my books but the only ones I thought of seem to reach 4" or so.

Rose

Skadunkadunk

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could get Swordtails or Mollies. But if you get a swordtail, one male and female, and mollies two males or one male and 2 females.

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose, which ones did you find that were 4 inches?

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Skunk - All males will tend to fight. A mix of males and females would require at least 3....2 female, one male. But the person would have to be prepared for a lot of breeding.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right you are Vin. The reason for 1 male and 2 females is so the male won't pick on the females all the time. As far as fry are concerned the Gourami will keep them eaten so you won't have an over population problem.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was going to recommend Swordtails but the book I had said they reached 4 inches. I had also thought of Glass Catfish. They are both really neat fish and both get to about 4 inches.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing is Glass catfish need to be kept in groups in a quiet environment.
Tho they are truly beautiful.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom