!fish Overnight Emergency! Help 

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all. My 10 gallon tank has recently finished cycling. I did a fish in cycle without knowing the consequences, but my 1 betta male and 2 black neon tetras have survived. I lost 2 glow neon tetras. I went to Petsmart tonight to get 2 regular neon tetras and 2 mystery snails. I was working my way up to 3 neon tetras and 3 black neon tetras for a school, but something went wrong. My betta never attacked the two previous glow neon tetras or my current black neon tetras, but the 2 regular neon tetras I added tonight set him off. He hated the bright red on their tails and was mercilessly stalking and chasing them. One got so shocked it just sat there as he ate half of its tail fin. He lost interest in them a couple times, but he would always go back to harassing and chasing the new tetras. I gave them two hours but eventually decided the new tetras had to be removed for their own safety. I put them in a 0.5 gallon container with my tanks current water and some API Stress Coat with aloe Vera in it to alleviate their stress as much as possible. I put a towel around the container to hopefully keep them warm for the night.

Image1559528212.510338.jpg
Image1559528257.322825.jpg

Will they survive until I can return them to Petsmart in the morning, approximately 12 hours from now? And for the future, should I only stick with a school of black neon tetras, who I know are safe with my betta? Or could less colored versions of tetras possibly work? Thank you!!

PS- the two mystery snails are doing fine and not being attacked.

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They’ll probably be fine do you have a air stone or anything? Don’t feed them either

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oarngesi said:
They’ll probably be fine do you have a air stone or anything? Don’t feed them either
I don’t unfortunately, I ordered one and it won’t be here until tomorrow. And I won’t! Just gonna not touch them anymore and keep my room as warm as possible

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oarngesi said:
I think PetSmart has the 5 gallon tank starter kits on sale for like 20 it’s not a bad idea to have one for a quarantine tank
That’s a good idea! I’ve had many failures starting my first aquarium, and it would be a good idea to have a backup while I’m trying to find fish to work with my rude betta son.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettas can decide to attack anything anytime so theyre not very good to have with other fish.

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Id probably put the betta in the 5 gallon alone to be honest, some are just not community tank compatible

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
Bettas can decide to attack anything anytime so theyre not very good to have with other fish.
A lot of forums advocate that bettas are able to live with other fish, but depending on the temperament some just won’t and do best alone. Mine has been fine with my 2 black neons for a month now, so I still have hope he can live in a community tank. If he starts attacking everyone and the other fish need to be returned so he can live alone, then I’ll sadly have to concede.

Minxxy said:
Id probably put the betta in the 5 gallon alone to be honest, some are just not community tank compatible
I might have to unfortunately. He is perfectly fine with my black neons and has been for a month now, so I still have hope that he could be in a community tank. I’ll have to see how he does going forward, but sadly you might be right.

WallowingInSelfPity

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettas are such drama queens. I don't think they like to be out shined. It might help to get tall plants or decor to break line of sight and provides hiding spots as well.

gorejusdesign

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could remove betta from tank, add new fishies, rearrange the decor then reintroduce the betta.

jennalynnj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Were the other tetras in the tank before the betta? That may explain why he let's them be but is attacking new ones? Even if you get more blacks, maybe remove him to a time-out tank while you acclimate them, and do like gorejusdesign says and rearrange the tank while he is out of it.

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WallowingInSelfPity said:
Bettas are such drama queens. I don't think they like to be out shined. It might help to get tall plants or decor to break line of sight and provides hiding spots as well.
I did add another plant but ended up returning the neon tetras for more colorless black neon tetras. So far they’re doing great! My betta is still rude and will try to chase one occasionally, but it darts away and he quickly loses interest

gorejusdesign said:
You could remove betta from tank, add new fishies, rearrange the decor then reintroduce the betta.
I ended up returning the neon tetras and getting more black neon tetras, but that’s actually what I did with the new black neons while they were acclimating! Giving my betta a time-out actually seemed to help

jennalynnj said:
Were the other tetras in the tank before the betta? That may explain why he let's them be but is attacking new ones? Even if you get more blacks, maybe remove him to a time-out tank while you acclimate them, and do like gorejusdesign says and rearrange the tank while he is out of it.
No, the betta was the first guy in the tank, although I did add the old black neons the day after I added him, so I don’t think he was used to his territory yet and therefore accepted them as part of it right away. And I did get more blacks! I actually did end up putting my betta in timeout while the new ones were acclimating, and it seemed to help!

gorejusdesign

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hannah662parker said:
That’s a good idea! I’ve had many failures starting my first aquarium, and it would be a good idea to have a backup while I’m trying to find fish to work with my rude betta son.
It's a good idea to have a backup /quarantine tank on standby, just don't be tempted to start another tank by stocking that one. Or else your backup is gonna need a backup, LOL!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads