Fish only flashing at night

Equilibris

I have a 40 gallon tank with 8 neon tetras, 2 German blue rams, a dwarf gourami and 16 ember tetras. I notice that at night (lights off for a few hours) the ember tetras flash and scratch at the top of the tank where the floating plants are. Almost all of them are doing it.

I had neon tetras do the same a few months ago and treated them for flukes but they stopped for a long time now. The tank is cycled and water parameters looks pristine.

The weird thing is that they all start going crazy at night only, during the day I can’t flashing. Sometimes I could see it, but I can’t tell if it’s aggression between the fish or flashing. At night though, it’s very obvious with almost all the embers doing it. Also, it might be important to point out that only the embers flash now, the neons don’t.

I’m currently treating them for gill flukes but I’m not sure if that’s what they have.

Bruinfishkeeper1

I have a 40 gallon tank with 8 neon tetras, 2 German blue rams, a dwarf gourami and 16 ember tetras. I notice that at night (lights off for a few hours) the ember tetras flash and scratch at the top of the tank where the floating plants are. Almost all of them are doing it.

I had neon tetras do the same a few months ago and treated them for flukes but they stopped for a long time now. The tank is cycled and water parameters looks pristine.

The weird thing is that they all start going crazy at night only, during the day I can’t flashing. Sometimes I could see it, but I can’t tell if it’s aggression between the fish or flashing. At night though, it’s very obvious with almost all the embers doing it. Also, it might be important to point out that only the embers flash now, the neons don’t.

I’m currently treating them for gill flukes but I’m not sure if that’s what they have.
A lot of schooling fish do that. Where at night they go up to the top of the tank and just stay still up there with the rest of the school. They're just resting.

Also I would recommend to never medicate fish unless you are 100 percent certain of disease. The medicine for healthy fish may do more bad than good

Upvote 0

MacZ

I notice that at night (lights off for a few hours) the ember tetras flash and scratch at the top of the tank where the floating plants are. Almost all of them are doing it.

Really only the Embers and between floating plants?
That's most likely just mating behaviour and before you get excited, unlikely anything survives with these tankmates (or the Embers themselves for that matter.)

Also I would recommend to never medicate fish unless you are 100 percent certain of disease. The medicine for healthy fish may do more bad than good

Absolutely agree. To prevent that researching your fishes behaviours is a top priority.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Fish are often more active without the lights on...mine frequently have no lights during the daytime and they are far more naturel in their behaviour and activity level....often hyper.

Personally I hate the bright aquarium lighting, its not natural nor does it come close to natural despite what the box might say. Unless in a desert country the sun doesn't shine fully all day....so my lights stay off or are the intensity of a cloudy day and the fish are far more active with no light or low intensity.

Night time is, as MacZ said, often time for finding a mate but then alot of fish are far more active at night that people realise.

And its absolutely right about the medications...do not use them as a first resort. Learn about the fish body language and behaviour, keep your weekly water changes on a routine to keep the water clean and fresh.....alot of things can be handled natures way by just water changes, water testing to make sure everything is as close to perfect as possible...heading for the store to buy medications is always the absolute last resort cos at the end of the day the store is only after a sale and is not concerned whether you have made the right diagnoses or not. Medications can harm fish far more than anything else if used incorrectly or on a "just incase" or a "maybe".

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chrisfish7887
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Chrisfish7887
  • Question