Fish Ok Without Food For A Couple Days?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Gwenz, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Gwenz

GwenzWell Known MemberMember

I'm going away on Saturday afternoon, and I'm comming back on Monday evening. Should my fish be OK on Sunday without any food?

Gwenz :)

2. JaiValued MemberMember

Yes they should be ok, why don't you get one of those weekend food tablets they stay floating for about 3-4 days? for your fishes 8)

3. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

I was thinking of maybe doing that. Thanks, I'll see if I can get one.

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

My experience with those weekend feeders has not been good. I know that's what they are meant for, but your fish will be just fine not being fed until you get back home. Unless you have fry, your fish will not need food while you are gone. Those weekend feeders tend to pollute your tank and you will probably have to clean the tank when you get home. If you feed the normal amount just before you leave, you will come home to a sparkling clean tank. I have left for a week and my fish were all fine and ready for mommy to feed them. My tanks also never looked better! ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

Thanks Gunnie, I think I heard about them not being very good. I think I might leave them, without food for the day, and then feed them the normal amount before I go and when I get back.

Thanks

6. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

A month ago I had an experience with the tablet. I don't think they did much with it, it was just this white chalky crumbling chunk on the bottom when I got back, and I did have to do a gravel cleaning to get rid of it. However on the other hand I tried the alternative, leaving them for a couple of days with nothing and they seemed just fine.

7. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

Thanks, I think that is the best thing to do. Besides, I'll be there Saturday morning to feed them and will be back Monday Evening,and will be able to feed them then. It'll only be 1 whole day without food so they should be fine. ;D

8. JonWell Known MemberMember

leaving them a few days is fine but i had to leave them over a week so i bought an auto-feeder and it worked quite well, to be frankly honest i still use it cuz its just so darn convenient^,^

9. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I thought about using one of those auto feeders when my husband and I were going on a four day cruise a few weeks ago. But I had baby fry and decided to just let the mother-in-law come over twice a day to feed them and my dog. I bought one of those weekly doses pill containers, and put two servings per day in each day, with one box just for fry, it was ground up real fine. But since the mother-in-law wants to go with us on our next cruise, I'll have to buy one of the auto feeders. ::)

10. JonWell Known MemberMember

yeah i highly reccomend them they are easy and very convenient but of course some foods you still have to feed by hand like bloodworms every once in a while or if ure fish eat live foods... nice throughout most of the week though

11. OP
    OP
    Gwenz

Thanks. This is a great help. But since it's only one whole day i'm not going to be here, I think it might be easiest if I just leave them for that one day, don't you think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice