Fish not so happy :(

FishGuy86
Here's the story...I set up a 30 gallon tank. Water conditions were great, and so was the SG. I went to my local fish store and the guy said it was ok to add some damsels because they are hardy fish. So I did that and everything went well. Then after about a week and a half I added some live rock. I did some water tests and my pH was low and nitrites were high. Along with the live rock, I also picked up a hitch hiking slug thing. I also added a powerhead. Now all of a sudden my fish are just hovering in one spot along the bottom and breathing heavily. I've added chemicals to bring down the nitrites and to raise my pH to 8.2. Is there anything else I should do? I know my tank is still cycling...and I've heard that my water conditions will go from perfect to really bad...and then back to perfect.

Cody
I'm not exprienced with Sw..but yeah because it may be cycled but if you introduce to many fish at once it causes a sudden spike...becasue all of sudden it gets fish waste and wasted food introduced..and if to much is added at once the bacteria can't keep up..I'm not as sure with the whole saltwater set up though so wait for more post..but yeah the water will be good then things will get higher and then level off

Amnagrla
Just as a note... I find any of the products that say they regulate pH to be more of a hinderance than a help. Do you know what your pH was?

Do you have a test kit? I am wondering what your tap water pH is? The thing is, you fish would rather you have consistant pH and have it be a little off than to have it go way up then way down then way up, you know what I mean?

Do you know the rest of your water parameters?

FishGuy86
Nitrates were 0. Nitrites were .5-1.0 Alkalinity was close to 300. and pH was down to around 7.4. For now, I'm using a quick dip strip. It has 6 tests in one. I know it's not the best...but being in college and having other finances...this had to do. I introduced one fish..then about 4 days later introduced my last two...and that's how it's been. Any suggestions? I saw a saltwater master test kit today at Petsmart...but once again...gotta wait til the money comes in.

agsansoo
Sorry to hear this. Your PH is low. Have you tested your ammonia level in the tank ? When you added the live rock was it cured ? Like suggested earlier, do at least a 5 gal water change as soon as you have new saltwater mixed and aerated. Can you buy some NSW (natural saltwater) near you ?

bhcaaron
Jar05g,

This was a reply by FISHGIRL in my other post to help you.

I would do water changes. maybe 20% every day, Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Do you have a test kit so you can keep track of the water quality? I like the API MasterTest Kit. The strips are not very acurate.
How many fish do you have? what size tank? any live plants?

FishGuy86
I haven't tested my ammonia. The guy from my LFS said the rock wasn't totally cured...but it was close. Wouldn't doing a water change restart my cycle and just stress the fish more.

atmmachine816
If you do a partial water change of say 5 gallons no it won't recycle the tank. Any chance of getting your pet store to test your water? Possibly but stuff online?

FishGuy86
I went to Petsmart today and bought API's Master Test Kit and ran water tests. Everything was just "OK". I've been adding Amquel+ and I'll see how it goes. If my water parameters don't clean up...then I'll do the water change.

bhcaaron
What were the parameters now?

FishGuy86
Ammonia was normal. Nitrates were 5-10. Nitrites were around .25, and pH was right around 8.0. Decent water parameters?

bhcaaron
Yayy! Congrats!

atmmachine816
nitrites need to be at zero. Nitrates should not be any higher than 10 in saltwater tank to be safe. Ammonia should at zero also. I would advise 4-5 gallon water changes until you get your levels at what I mentioned. I have not used Amquel+ so I"m not familar with what that does.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
BlueGlofish
Replies
Views
JessiNoel21
Replies
Views