fish not eating

1. dano569 Member Member

my fish are not eating all of the sudden.everything looks normal they are in a 20 gallon tank about 6 or so africans [small] and some lace cats all are going in a 55 in the next couple of days.what should i do they don't appear to be sick they are rubbing against rocks every so often but i don't see any spots or anything.they seem to be breathing more rapidly some of the time.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :-\

2. dahly Member Member

Have you tested the water?  What are the results?  A water change is never a bad idea.  My shy fish seem to eat better when I turn the overhead lights off, and use indirect lighting from elsewhere in the room to help somewhat illuminate their tank.  Good Luck!

3. dano569 Member Member

yeah i tested it.everything looks normal.i'm gonna try a big water change and then move them in to their bigger tank if they are healthy enough. :-\

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Like Dahly said a water change is never a bad idea and it can't do any harm.
    Carol

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

If you just bought the fish, they may be simply still afraid and need some time to get used to the new home.

However, when fish are not eating and scratching against the objects or against the bottom, IT MAY be an outset of a disease. The disease doesn't have to be visible right away, but it may already be there. Even smallest amounts of ammonia and nitrite (and significant amounts of nitrate) can cause diseases.

If you can, please post your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels. Thanks.