Fish Names

dvc_r

Pamphilos posted an update of his goldfish MI and YU. I thought that was a great idea to post your fish names.

My wife names all my fish:
Marlboro Reds are called Blaze, Flame and Starburst.
Bettas are Mushu, Ginsu, Mr. Miagi, Kon and Leeshang.
Clown Loaches are Crustie, Bozo and Bingo
My angels are Chris (Magician Chris Angel), Clarense (from It's a Wonderful Life), and Micheal (the Archangel)

How creative are you?

pinkfloydpuffer

Here's all my fish up to today:

Mollies: Jimi, Janis, Jefferson-named after the big 3 at woodstock, JimI Hendrix, Janis Joplin w/ Big Brother and the Holding Company, and Jefferson Airplane

Bettas: Floyd (after Pink Floyd of course), Emerson (Emerson Lake & Palmer), Rodya (character from Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment), DmitrI (also from C&P), Donovan (after the folk singer Donovan), Winter (Edgar Winter Group), Riviera aka Vera (Pink Floyd's song Vera), Volta (the band The Mars Volta)

Cories: Julia Dream (Pink Floyd song title), Corporal Clegg (another PF song title), Baba O'Riley (The Who song title)

Rubberlip pleco: Danno (character from tv show HawaiI Five-o Book em Danno! Book that algae! ;D)

Puffers: Garth (after Dana Carvey's character Garth from Wayne's World), Pistachio (Dana Carvey's character in Master of Disguise)

Guppies: Paul, Ringo, and John (named by my 6 yr old sister after the Beatles ;D)

That's all for now...

bettafish2816

Bettas: Hera, Cerberus, Ares, Artemis, and finally...Billy
Corycats: Hermes and "The Babies" (two tiny peppered corycats, we can't tell them apart so I just call them Romulus and Remus or "the babies")

My guppies are just "the guppies", because they're always together, and my mollie isn't named yet.

Mike19

I have to many schooling fish but named a few such as my white molly, Gandarf and my Dwarf Cichlid - Psycho Cich (Sid). haha

Red1313

Betta's: Cooli, Ray, Babie, Ember, Nighthawk, Firefly, Mer, Patch, Mama
Red Tail shark: Red (I was very creative with this one )
Bronse Cory's: The evil trio
Paradise Fish: Grumpy/Oscar (still considering)
OzzI Otto
RIP:
Cowboy (male betta)
Blue (female betta)
How they got their names? Usually the first one I pick is the one that sticks, they just sort of come to me. Some of them have an explanation.
-Coolie was a really neat color when I picked up him, sort of iridescent and icy.
-Babie was absolutely tiny.
-Ray reminded me of the sun.
-Nighthawk refused to take any other.
-Ember due to his coloring looks like one.
-Firefly has a very weak butterfly like patten except that instead of white it's clear.
-Patch had a big white band around his middle.
-Mama had breeding stripes while in her cup.
-And blue (like Red) is pretty straight forward.
-Grumpy was b/c he was the meanest guy in the tank. Running around chasing all the others, I figured if anyone was going to hold their own against a RTS it would be him.
-The evil trio were originally in the evil empty 10 gal.
-Cowboy was b/c every song in the car on the way home was about cowboys, he was also a tough ol'guy right up to the end.

dvc_r

bettafish2816

lol, if my guppies were intimidating I would TOTALLY call them the KGB!

Mike19

sticky fish

I have a pleco named Mr. Sticky
Pleco #2 Jeff the worm (after the alien worm in MIB 2)
Pleco #3 Neeble (another alien from MIB 2)
My green spotted puffer is Woodstock after the music festival.
My goldfish is named Stinkbait because he's a pain in the butt.

AlyeskaGirl

Um, no I don't name my fish...but I did get a Senegal Bichir fish last week and named him/her Eragon. I swear it fits that little guy perfect!! ;D

MeGustaUnaPez926

Here we go!
Cories- Neufchatel, Chateaubriand, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Schnitzel, Ferdinand and Mickey. (Neuf and Briand named for food I saw at the grocery store right before I bought them. I didn't actually know what they meant until after I had fallen in love with them! TchaI and Strav are named after the composers of 2 piano pieces I was playing at the time I got them. Schnitzel after the hot dog chain restaurant Der Weinerschnitzel, Ferdinand and Mickey, I just liked the names.)
Gouramis- Lady Florence Craye and Little Madeline Bassett, named for charachters in the Jeeves and Wooster series, by P.G. Wodehouse. (Fabulous books)
And when (if) I get my 10 gallon tank to house two dwarf puffers, they will be named Simon James Alexander Reínhold III and Joe.

aecw

4 tetras - John, Paul, George & Ringo
Malaysian trumpet snail - Miles
4 Panda cories and 1 Pepper - Fender, Gibson, Maison, Hoffner & Gretch

In 150 gallon:
Frankie & Johnnie (tinfoil barbs), Harry (chalceus), SpicollI (angel), Suckface (pleco), Burt (bala shark) - for Burt Reynolds in Sharkey's Machine, Ernie (catfish), Kitty (pictus), 50 cent (silverdollar), Bill & Ted (giant danios), Pearl (snakeskin gouramI - I originally thought she was a pearl then name stuck) and Sweet Pea (blood parrot)

JESS01

10gallonnewbie

Right now we only have RYU my Betta...We had 4 common goldfish that died...they were coke, pepsi, darrel and sprite...We had a ryucen named Ang and a black moor named Katara...The fish that get put in the ten gallon tank will be named as well...

Amanda

I only name my bettas.
Although my mom calls my BR Parrots Rotties.
lol.

Nick G

My Oscars are Dave and Sue, none of the other fish have names except the first fry I had that survived. Shes a Mickey Mouse Platy called Swimmy.

pinkfloydpuffer

aecw said:
4 tetras - John, Paul, George & Ringo
Malaysian trumpet snail - Miles
4 Panda cories and 1 Pepper - Fender, Gibson, Maison, Hoffner & Gretch

In 150 gallon:
Frankie & Johnnie (tinfoil barbs), Harry (chalceus), SpicollI (angel), Suckface (pleco), Burt (bala shark) - for Burt Reynolds in Sharkey's Machine, Ernie (catfish), Kitty (pictus), 50 cent (silverdollar), Bill & Ted (giant danios), Pearl (snakeskin gouramI - I originally thought she was a pearl then name stuck) and Sweet Pea (blood parrot)
I like your style! The Beatles, guitar brands, Bill & Ted, trumpet snail Miles...

prairielilly

Cherry barbs - female: the golden girls
Cherry barb - male: big red
Dwarf gourami: Gabriel
One and only oto: Otto Man
^^Will be getting more otos soon. Then they'll be the Otto Man Empire

Past: about seven male bettas all named Mr Fishie. Hope to get another betta soon - he may or may not also be Mr Fishie.

dvc_r

Zebra Danios: Eeny, Meeny Miney + Moe
Hey Jess01: Is this a double meaining because it's hard to tell which is which?

jack--sos

Pleco: Chad (after chad Kroeger from Nickelback)
Female Bolivian ram: Tweedledee
Male Bolivian Ram: Tweedledum
Anglefish: Morticia (Anjelica Huston, plays Morticia (the mum) in the Addams Family)
Pearl Gouramis: Pearl & Dean (cinema advertising
Rainbow Shark: Sharky

dvc_r

I hope this doesn't change the subject matter but I have to add my wife is a dog groomer and she had a customer that takes home the prize.
The two dog's names were:
"Get off the Rug" and "You Too"!
... I am not kidding!!!

prairielilly

dvc_r said:
I hope this doesn't change the subject matter but I have to add my wife is a dog groomer and she had a customer that takes home the prize.
... I am not kidding!!!

I once knew someone with two all-black cats named 'Black' and 'Decker'

Back to fish though: my brother used to have 3 goldfish named Jethro, Buford and Virgil

bettafish2816

dvc_r said:
... I am not kidding!!!
LOL that's hilarious!

MeGustaUnaPez926

My dad's best friend had a dog named "Hey You!" once.

aecw

pinkfloydpuffer said:
I like your style! The Beatles, guitar brands, Bill & Ted, trumpet snail Miles...
Hubby is in the music biz - it's part of our life. When I met him I was a Dead Head (fyI saw one of the original Pink Floyd laser light shows) - he told me I could move in but Jerry couldn't! Since then I have been "re" educated in the world of guitar oriented rock - Clapton, Vai, Satriani, Stevie Ray, etc....
my offspring came by it naturally! (the cory tank is my 9 year old's)

bettafish2816

my new betta boy's name is going to be vishnu, still working on names for the girls though....maybe I'll wait until they get here to decide!

pinkfloydpuffer

aecw said:
Hubby is in the music biz - it's part of our life. When I met him I was a Dead Head (fyI saw one of the original Pink Floyd laser light shows) - he told me I could move in but Jerry couldn't! Since then I have been "re" educated in the world of guitar oriented rock - Clapton, Vai, Satriani, Stevie Ray, etc....
my offspring came by it naturally! (the cory tank is my 9 year old's)
There's so many people on here who have seen Pink Floyd, and I always am so jealous! I am too young I'm afraid :'(
I love love LOVE Steve Vai! My gosh that guy is incredible! Makes some of the most beautiful heavy music I've ever heard. Distorted guitars you could listen to in an elevator lol

jgon_

Captain Clack (Procol Harum song)
Juicy John Pink (Procol Harum song)
Licorice John Death (Procol Harum song)
Homburg (Procol Harum song)
Walpugris (Procol Harum song)
Mrs. Proust (Fuzzy Duck song)
Richard (Richard Dawkins)
Arroway (main character in Carl Sagan's 'Contact')
Douglas (Douglas Adams)
Podgy (nickname of my best friend)

hmm, wonder what my favorite band is!

pinkfloydpuffer

jgon_ said:
Captain Clack (Procol Harum song)
Juicy John Pink (Procol Harum song)
Licorice John Death (Procol Harum song)
Homburg (Procol Harum song)
Walpugris (Procol Harum song)
Mrs. Proust (Fuzzy Duck song)
Richard (Richard Dawkins)
Arroway (main character in Carl Sagan's 'Contact')
Douglas (Douglas Adams)
Podgy (nickname of my best friend)

hmm, wonder what my favorite band is!
Hm... is it Pink Floyd? ;D

Mike19

if I get a white cichlid I'm going to call it casper

isis

My halfmoon betta is Spartacus
My pleco is George
My big golden apple snail is Deloris
The two dalmatian mollies are Spot and Dot
My red female betta is Scarlet
My yellow female betta is Peanut
My green spotted puffer is Pickle
My blue vail tail Betta is Tarciato (stumpy)

dvc_r

The two dalmatian mollies are Spot and Dot
lol
simple but effective

CapeKateskid

lets see..
I have only 3 bettas
FIshee love me do...my favorite beatles song
King...he was the first to build a nest
Rupert...just looks like a rupert..lol
R.I.P. Timmy...who was affectionatly named after my future brother inlaw bc he was fat and ugly just like him hehehehee

isis

dvc_r

dvc_r said:
lol
simple but effective
LOL! yeah! and in all honesty I cannot tell them apart LOL!- bad hey! LOL!

barrenelly

My kribs don't have names yet, but I find kuhlI loaches often have their names ready written on them, here's a pic of MonI (who has Wavy written very clearly on the other side), Dutch (right of pic, ij is common in the Dutch language) and Basil (Black-And-Silver-Is-Lovely). My other kuhlis are called Chains, Ivy, Ino and Regi.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom